Roof or Condensation Problem?

Roof or Condensation Problem?

16:46 PM, 17th September 2013, About 10 years ago 9

Text Size

Over a year ago, tenant was complaining of leak in bedroom, so had a roofer repair 5 rows of tiles/felt where it could have been.

Then about a year ago there was a lot of mould in one of the bedrooms and the bathroom of the let property. I bought the mould cleaner and painted it over with the special paint from B&Q to prevent further mould appearing.

Few months later new insulation was put in and cavity wall insulation. The property does have double glazing. Now it appears that the mould has come back and worse in the whole of the upstiars.

Not sure if this is a roof problem since all the felt is rotten and therefore whole roof needs re-doing, or do I call a condensation speacialist and fit in the extractor fans in the rooms upstairs.

Confused since each tradesman wants to sell his service, so not sure what to do.

Appreciate any advice. Roof or Condensation Problem?

Bushra Mohammed

Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

16:55 PM, 17th September 2013, About 10 years ago

Hello Bushra and welcome to Property118

Have you considered getting a chartered surveyor to have a look for you?

If it's a damp/condensation problem I recommend you get a free survey from Envirovent.

If it's a roof problem the surveyor should be able to refer you to a decent roofer.

I hope that helps, please let us know the outcome.

Bushra Mohammed

17:44 PM, 17th September 2013, About 10 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Mark Alexander" at "17/09/2013 - 16:55":

Hi, I contacted Envirovent, who charge £20+Vat. Not sure whether to ask them since they would be selling their product in the end, or whether just to find a local surveyor.

Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

17:47 PM, 17th September 2013, About 10 years ago

Surveyor first definitely, even though Envirovent do provide a money back satisfaction guarantee.

That's a shocker about Envirovent. Here in Norfolk their surveys are free, but perhaps that's only for members of certain Landlords Associations?

Robert Desbruslais

18:30 PM, 17th September 2013, About 10 years ago

This sounds like a classic case of condensation developing within the roof and appearing like a leak.

The problem always gets worse if insulation is improved without a balance of increased ventilation.

We can advise on line re these issues at uk.

Mike Goldsmith

18:40 PM, 17th September 2013, About 10 years ago

If there is black spot mould it indicates condensation . A positive pressure system should cure it without too much expense .

david Earnshaw

16:33 PM, 18th September 2013, About 10 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "mike goldsmith" at "17/09/2013 - 18:40":

What is a positive pressure test?
I usually find that one of the main problems is a lack of heat followed by a lack of ventilation, the dew point needs to be raised by the heating then the ventilation removes it.


16:40 PM, 18th September 2013, About 10 years ago

Hi I would agree it sounds like a classic case of mold caused by a lack of ventilation, seen it many times. This often happens or gets worse when houses are improved by increasing the insulation and tightening the house by adding double glazing and draft proofing. The warmer interior will now hold more moisture and this will condense on any surfaces that are still cold giving a perfect breeding ground for mold. This usually happens in the corners of rooms ceilings at the edge of buildings where the loft insulation has not reached ( usually intentional to keep the loft vented). The cure is to ventilate the rooms either by opening windows which people are reluctant to do as it cools the property and reduces the security. Long term answer is to provide mechanical ventilation which needs to be well designed to avoid dead areas. Hope this helps

david Earnshaw

18:56 PM, 18th September 2013, About 10 years ago

Bathrooms and bedrooms are always problem areas, in bathrooms fit a humidistat fan which will always run when there is damp in the atmosphere, bedrooms just need ventilation, two people a sleep in a bedroom breath around 5 gallons of damp air into the room per night.

Marc Welham

17:02 PM, 19th September 2013, About 10 years ago

Sounds like condensation. If you wet your finger and wipe it, if it wipes off its condensation if it won't wipe off its damp. I get this a lot in flats. Mainly because of clothes being dried on radiators and showers. Where do people think the moisture from their wet clothes go?? Into the air and if the property is well insulated etc it can't get out. Like it's been said above the property needs to be ventilated. Ideally by opening windows during the day, but as people seem reluctant to do this then. Extractor fans need to be fitted in the bathroom, ( as these need to have an isolator fitted I would suggest putting this before the light switch so they can't turn it off to save electric without also turning out the light!) also a dehumidifier needs to be used when drying clothes. I will supply these to my tennants as I see it as a small price to pay for my property not to get damaged. Marc

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now