Trickle vents in double glazing – Huntingdon Landlords Question

Trickle vents in double glazing – Huntingdon Landlords Question

19:18 PM, 1st July 2013, About 10 years ago 15

Text Size

We are looking to get double glazing fitted in the property we are currently renting out. The double glazing company said that trickle vents have to be fitted in the windows by law – is that correct? We would rather not as the idea is to have a sealed unit for warmth. Would this be a requirement of standard buildings/landlord rental insurance?

Thanks in advance for any help on this, I have trawled the internet for an answer but so far have had no joy.


Trickle vents in double glazing

Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

19:23 PM, 1st July 2013, About 10 years ago

Hi Karen

FENSA is set up by the double glazing industry to help protect homeowners - telephone - 020 7645 3700.

The advice from the lady I spoke there today for you was that if the windows being replaced have trickle vents in them then so must the new ones.

From a personal perspective I would recommend window vents. They are not expensive and can help to reduce condensation which leads to mould. They can also be closed on very cold days. I have them in the windows on all of my properties out of choice.

Thank you for your very kind donation to The GOOD Landlords Campaign by the way 🙂

Mick Roberts

7:23 AM, 2nd July 2013, About 10 years ago

I'd second what Mark says. Your current tenants may be ok, but next ones may not be as efficient as these in ventilation, & if you get the trickle vents done now, all helps for future condensation & mould. And they could be just enough to prevent mould, 'cause sometimes when it comes, u then may need more than the vents. Wish I'd known 15 years ago what I do now about mould. Every window I'd have had fitted, I'd have them vents in. I've only been forcing 'em last 5 years or so.
And I now with some tenants, we have to snap the adjustable closer off, so vent permanently open-Not ideal I know, but when they keep it closed with mould growing, it has to be done.
Sealed units do bring warmth, but as any Environmental Health officer will tell u, u need warmth AND ventilation.
And I must get my Prop118 contribution done as soon as I get round to the original email.
Unless of course Mark, maybe as a course of action, u should possibly maybe once a month, put it in one the emails that has about 4 threads in, u know the normal text, a lot of Landlords benefit from this site, because we all help each other, but we can only remain if we have the odd contribution to pay for the upkeep of the site. U know, your words will be better than mine, but I do think infrequent email with this in, may not get on people's wicks, & at the same time, giving 'em a jolt, we are only getting this Landlord info, because of the way the site is set up with regards to emails, forums & REAL Landlords being able to rely directly to u, with the answer to your problem.
One day, when I get time, I'm gonna' start a thread on Tax, Private v's company. I know it's been done before, but I need it drilled in to me for my way of working.

15:23 PM, 2nd July 2013, About 10 years ago

Yes this comes in under document f in the current building regulations


15:29 PM, 2nd July 2013, About 10 years ago

When I had windows fitted was told only one window in each room needs a vent that was 3 years ago not sure if regs have changed as they do so often.


16:00 PM, 2nd July 2013, About 10 years ago

The need for ventilation comes under building regulations, and for this it is not applied retrospectively, hence they are not required, unless they are replacing units that already have trickle vents, or as part of a new build.
However, be wary of creating that warm room, as you may then increase the risk of condensation. As you will read in other articles on here.
Is there other ventilation in the room?
And, is there a gas appliance?
Trickle vents can normally be closed, and are now quite unobtrusive.


16:05 PM, 2nd July 2013, About 10 years ago

Interesting stuff, have to admit to not knowing about this

Paul Shears

18:08 PM, 2nd July 2013, About 10 years ago

You definitely do not have to have vents if the windows are going in an old house which previously had no vents.
I agree with the landlords who say that it is risky not having vents.
However my properties are near a motorway and I've always had good tenants.
So I did not have vents and neither do most of the neighbours.
Nevertheless I've had some minor mould on the curtains.


23:02 PM, 2nd July 2013, About 10 years ago

My black and green walls became normal with effective ventilation. A major health hazzard was solved. Beware o the breathing disorders mould triggers and the litigation that is generated by mould especially in USA.

10:22 AM, 3rd July 2013, About 10 years ago

Have the trickle vents fitted, retro fitting is an expensive option and not possible on all types of window frame. They will have little effect on the overall U value and as a landlord will give you far more defence should a tenant have a damp problem where none occurred before.


12:16 PM, 3rd July 2013, About 10 years ago

Just be aware that condensation may still occur on windows, which can oddly enough increase with trickle vents. This is because of the introduction of some cold air. However, condensation on windows can be seen as a good thing, as if it shows that you may not be getting condensation elsewhere, such as in cupboards. Damp and condensation are sometimes impossible to eradicate, and often it is better to manage it, rather than try to eradicate it.

1 2

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now