Party Wall Damp Ingress

Party Wall Damp Ingress

9:36 AM, 5th August 2013, About 11 years ago 7

Text Size

I own a 1900’s end terraced house that had some damp / water ingress via the defective chimney stack on the gable end, the chimney stack has been removed as the water was travelling down the gable wall and showing as damp on the internal wall and chimney breast (its a solid wall, not cavity), this should fix the problem after some drying out time.Party Wall Damp Ingress

The problem is whilst the roofer was on the roof they noticed the neighbouring chimney stack situated over the party wall was also defective, not dangerous but defective flashings and defective flaunching so water was also leaking in, this is travelling down the party wall and presenting itself as damp on my internal party wall causing bad damp patches, staining and wall paper to peel off.

I have on 5 occasions called round to the neighbouring house and no one has answered although they have been in, lights on and windows open etc, they clearly avoid opening the door, no reason why, ive never met them or spoken to them or had any reason to as I have just bought the house. I checked land registry to get owners name and hand delivered a letter just asking they call me about the chimney, I even offered to pay for the work, quoted £80.00, they have still not contacted me after 2 weeks, I realise the house may be let and tenants may not be bothered.

The roofer refused to fix it on site without permission from the owner.

what can I do next to prevent further water ingress ? I dont want to cause any hassle but its annoying and needs fixing.

Thanks for your anticipated advices……


Share This Article


Howard Michaels

15:15 PM, 5th August 2013, About 11 years ago

Dear Oliver

I'm afraid you may have to have some hassle. However you can do the necessary repairs under the Party Wall etc Act 1996 by serving a notice on the adjoining owner. It takes time as there is a notice period.

You can download the Act from the government website - Google UK Legislation. You can also get plain English guidance from an organisation called the Pyramus and Thisbe Club

Have a look at all this first. If it looks too complicated for you to DIY ask the P&T Club for the names[s] of local surveyors - shop around for the best deal and get whoever you select to deal with it for you.

Seems a lot of bother and cost but sometimes it is the only way.

Best of luck.


andrew townshend

18:55 PM, 5th August 2013, About 11 years ago

some years ago (before party wall act) i tampered with a neighboring properties rain water down pipe, i found my self in court, was ordered to pay £120 to replace down pipe, + £5000 other parties court costs. BE WARNED .

Yvette Newbury

22:55 PM, 5th August 2013, About 11 years ago

I had exactly the same situation in a house that was joined to a shop next door. I got the name of the owner from land registry and wrote to the owner enclosing the quote my contractor had given for work on their property. I was more fortunate as I received a response and the work was carried out. Write another letter, perhaps send it recorded delivery this time, one copy to the address given and another to your neighbour (if different). Await a response though this time of year you may have to wait longer than 2 weeks. If you have name of your neighbour but no definite address from land registry search on the internet for the name OR search on the address next door and find out if it was rented through a letting agent, contact them and ask for the landlords details.( very good for this sort of information I find or

Joe Bloggs

11:24 AM, 6th August 2013, About 11 years ago

odd. you say you have damp on your party wall but if the neighbours flaunching and flashing were involved then the damp their side would be 100 times or more worse. if you have high level damp on the party wall i would get a different roofer to check YOUR roof, flashings, flaunchings, parapet wall pointing etc., etc.

Jayne Owen

11:19 AM, 8th August 2013, About 11 years ago

Have you checked the owner details on the Land Registry? If it's tenanted, you might then have the owner's details and may be able to get further.

Raju Suds

12:18 PM, 2nd December 2017, About 7 years ago

What ever you do ensure that you have a written communication to either the ex-tenant or the new tenant or who ever the landlord is. You can find the land lord for £3 i guess on land registry for the property.

You could go through this to understand damp a bit more and fixing it as well to arrest the issue.

Susan Bradley

20:10 PM, 2nd December 2017, About 7 years ago

I have had a number of similar situations and found the local council environmental office to be very helpful. They will serve a notice on the adjoining property owner if they find it to be causing damage to your property.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now