Help and advice on selective licensing?

Help and advice on selective licensing?

0:03 AM, 15th June 2023, About 10 months ago 19

Text Size

Hello, I am sure this has been brought up before, but I am new to Property 118. I have been informed that I have to have a selective license, when I asked the council about it, they said it was to make sure the property was up to standard and to help with ASBOs.

I was taken aback as my property is not yet 20 years old, and the gentleman I spoke to was surprised, but said it was because it backed onto a certain area.

I also said why should I be involved with ASBOs as my tenants are vetted and had been in the house for years! I then found out that the council and housing association do not have to pay for a license. This I find hard to believe as the council have bought some properties on my road, so I have to pay but they don’t.

Can anyone out there help or advise me, as I feel that I am by myself, and it seems wrong, that I have to pay, whereas, someone else with the same property on the same road doesn’t. I have now received an email from the council, giving me 14 days to pay or go to court.

Please help!


Share This Article


Monty Bodkin

6:41 AM, 15th June 2023, About 10 months ago



7:52 AM, 15th June 2023, About 10 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Monty Bodkin at 15/06/2023 - 06:41
I would agree, it can only get worse. Don't delay, sell today is the new phrase in BTL

Judith Wordsworth

9:30 AM, 15th June 2023, About 10 months ago

The area covered by a Selective Licensing scheme is nothing to do with the age of a property nor vetted tenants.
If your property falls within the boundary, boundary line normally runs down the centre of roads or some other geographical feature, and you want to rent out your property then you have no choice but to get a Licence.

ASBO covers all sorts of behaviour not just noisy swearing harassing people but front gardens being used as a dumping ground etc.

Money raised from the licence fee can only be used to administer and run the scheme.

Joe Armstrong

9:32 AM, 15th June 2023, About 10 months ago

Welcome to my fact, lots of people's worlds. Local councils are just after a big slice of your cake. Sopranos style. Don't try to find a valid justification. You will get nothing for your money - just a receipt. Either pay it, stop letting the property or run the risk of the fine. If they've drawn a line around your property and its in the area requiring a license nothing will talk them out of it. Eventually ALL areas will require one.

Mick Roberts

9:33 AM, 15th June 2023, About 10 months ago

Welcome to the Bafoons of Council and Govt.
They call it an 'area'

Seething Landlord

9:42 AM, 15th June 2023, About 10 months ago

If you let without a licence you could find yourself with a rent repayment order in addition to any other penalty that may be imposed.


9:43 AM, 15th June 2023, About 10 months ago

Being a Private Landlord isn't about being treated fairly, it is about the Government, Local and National, squeezing every last penny out of you. SL covers an area, it doesn't matter what the condition of the house is, if you are in that area you have to pay. I had to get 6 licences for mine within one area. No, Social Housing providers do not have to pay. Get your License bought, if it goes to court the fines are horrific and you are automatically guilty because you do not have a License. As others have said, things are only going to get worse!


10:49 AM, 15th June 2023, About 10 months ago

Get the license and put the rent up explaining to the tenant the circumstances.

LL Minion

11:12 AM, 15th June 2023, About 10 months ago

Im at the mercy of SL now too. I asked for clarity over who has to apply for it and who is classed as the licence holder, (as they can be 2 different people). and who is regarded as a 'landlord' exactly. this is the reply I got below...but I am still not clear on any of it. Can anyone help? I OWN the property but a family member is going to find the tenant and manage it on my behalf (collect the rent, deal with tenant etc)

So do I class as the landlord or will he? Do I have to apply for the licence or does he? Who are interested parties - where do they come into it????


It is a legal requirement for landlords to apply for a licence, and a criminal offence if a landlord fails to apply for the required licence. A person commits an offence by being in control of a property which requires a licence but is not licensed, so it is ultimately the landlord who is responsible for sourcing the licence, however they can nominate a manging agent or other individual to apply on their behalf/be the licence holder. There is no other way to apply without setting up an account, all applications must be completed online.

Both the applicant and the licence holder will receive a declaration to sign. The applicant will do theirs at the point of submission and the licence holder (if different to the applicant) will receive a declaration via email once the application has been submitted.

During the application stage, once all interested parties are added and you proceed to the next step, you will then have to name a licence holder from the interested parties you have added to your account.

Floor plans are a requirement for HMO applications only, we do not require them for selective licences.

Legally a licence is required (or an application made) by the 5th June 2023, this was the day these became law. There is however, a period up until 4th September 2023, where we are not enforcing this scheme, to allow enough time for application submissions prior to enforcement.

Carol Duckfield

11:34 AM, 15th June 2023, About 10 months ago

If you are on FB then please join the Birmingham Landlord Forum ( which is used by the landlord members of the Birmingham Landlord Steering Group to engage with other landlords and understand the issues being encountered. The new licencing schemes are causing load of issues. I am collating a list of things that have been raised and need addressing and holding the council to account

1 2

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now