CP12 gas safety certificate

CP12 gas safety certificate

7:58 AM, 7th May 2014, About 8 years ago 82

Text Size

Should I report another landlord who refuses to get a CP12 certificate and if so, to whom? CP12 gas safety certificate

Many thanks




by Jan Martin

19:23 PM, 23rd May 2014, About 8 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Romain " at "23/05/2014 - 18:56":

The heating engineer is responsible for checking all gas appliances when gas safety check is carried out . Surely that makes sense to you . If all gas appliances are not checked then whats the point of a gas safety certificate .
You must conduct your business however you think fit . I am only trying to let you all know the facts.

by Romain Garcin

19:59 PM, 23rd May 2014, About 8 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Jan Martin" at "23/05/2014 - 19:23":

A landlord gas safety certificate and what the related checks must be is defined by law.

I'm not saying that it's necessarily a bad idea to have all gas appliances checked, but since it is not mandated I don't see why the engineer would have to do it if he was just hired to issue a landlord gas safety certificate (of course he may want to push to be able to charge more).

Again, perhaps I'm unnecessarily paranoid or cynical, or just missed something, but the benefit to the landlord of exceeding his legal duty here is not clear to me, although I do take the point that he may want to know about anything that could blow up his property.

by All BankersAreBarstewards Smith

20:04 PM, 23rd May 2014, About 8 years ago

"exceeding his legal duty" ??? - for me this is all about protecting tenants lives and neighbours lives from the consequences of an unknown gas appliance which may not have ever been serviced for all I know........ nothing to do with the law.... everything to do with common sense and care for his/her fellow man.......

someone I know never got his boiler serviced and he lived in a flat on the middle floor of a 3 storey block.. when it blew up it did massive damage....

I also know a landlord who killed a 19 year old by not being vigilant with gas......

by Jeremy Smith

0:42 AM, 24th May 2014, About 8 years ago

The gas engineer will need to test ALL appliances connected to the gas supply.
If this includes a cooker owned by the tenant, so be it.
If this is an extra cost, then the tenant needs to pay.
If he refuses to pay (or have it checked) then he's not allowed to have the cooker connected ! Simples.

- IMO, the landlord should provide basic cooking facilities, then the situation wouldn't arise in the first place ! !

by Joe Bloggs

8:26 AM, 24th May 2014, About 8 years ago

i think there is a lot of muddling not just on this thread, but on this site between what the law states and what landlords decide is best. if LL want to do extra, that is fine but the starting point must be a clear appreciation of the law. as romain has said, the law is that the LL is not responsible for tenants appliances. if anyone disagrees with that they should provide a link to the relevant section of the legislation. IMO this thread is going round in circles!

by Adrian Jones

9:16 AM, 24th May 2014, About 8 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Joe Bloggs" at "24/05/2014 - 08:26":


by Rob Crawford

14:31 PM, 24th May 2014, About 8 years ago

Unless you have evidence that he has not serviced his gas appliance and does not have a LL certificate then HSE authorities are unlikely to act, even if reported. If the tenants are approachable then have a chat with them and suggest they make the complaint. If you want to remain anonymous, the local Council Environmental Health Authority may be more amenable to investigating an allegation of this nature rather than HSE.

by Rob Crawford

14:52 PM, 24th May 2014, About 8 years ago

The question as to whether a landlord is responsible for gas safe checks on tenant owned gas appliances was raised. From the HSE website FAQ's: "Any gas appliance that you own and provide for the tenant's use is included in your legal duties. If a tenant has their own gas appliance that you have not provided, then you have responsibilities for parts of the associated installation and pipework but not for the actual appliance". It goes on to say:

"There are some good practice measures that you could adopt with appliances that tenants own: Send a reminder to the tenant that their appliances should be serviced and checked for safety each year by a Gas Safe registered link to external website engineer, and where possible, offer to include these (at reasonable cost) within gas safety maintenance undertaken on your behalf."

My AST's have a clause that states, "permission must be provided by the Landlord if the tenant wishes to connect their own gas appliances to the properties gas supply, this permission shall not be un-reasonably denied". Giving permission would include an agreement that their appliance is to be services and tested on installation and annually at the same time as appliances provided by the landlord, at the tenants cost.

by Kulasmiley

22:38 PM, 28th May 2014, About 8 years ago

CP12. Last week we undertook 10 CP12'S in one day. One of my tenants refuses to let us in for her cp12, this is dangerous. We have been told by her solicitor that she is within her rights not to let us in as there is no emergency. We contacted public health and they say they only protect health when it is trouble. We are going in very very soon with our keys, and the police may be called, on us, on her, who knows? So what I am saying is that BEFORE you grass up another fellow landlord why don't you find out WHY that landlord does not or cannot get his CP12 done? There are reasons for everything.

by Kulasmiley

22:39 PM, 28th May 2014, About 8 years ago

EVERY PROPERTY should have a CP12! Who knows what is lurking next door to one of our rental properties??

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?


Landlord Tax Planning Book Now