EICRs – should appliances be included?

by Seething Landlord

15:46 PM, 22nd December 2020
About a month ago

EICRs – should appliances be included?

Make Text Bigger
EICRs – should appliances be included?

Under the Regulations a landlord must ensure every electrical installation in the residential premises is inspected and tested at regular intervals by a qualified person

“electrical installation” has the meaning given in regulation 2(1) of the Building Regulations2010(4); which says:
“electrical installation” means fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter; (Building Regs 2010 S2 (1))

Does “fixed electrical equipment” include hard wired appliances such as cookers (built in or free standing), storage heaters and the like or does it just mean such things as switches, sockets, consumer units etc.?

If not, what tests or safety checks, if any, are recommended for such appliances?

Many thanks


Share this article

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn


steve p

20:56 PM, 22nd December 2020
About a month ago

You want a simple answer?


Just for reference im a landlord and fully qualified electrician.

Seething Landlord

21:04 PM, 22nd December 2020
About a month ago

Reply to the comment left by steve p at 22/12/2020 - 20:56
Thanks, but can you explain why and what about the second part of the question?

Paul Shears

21:11 PM, 22nd December 2020
About a month ago

Reply to the comment left by steve p at 22/12/2020 - 20:56
Agreed. That further destructive bureaucratic burden yet to come, assuming that here are any landlords left. If there are, it will extend to everyone else except powerful vested interests in the usual and totally predictable manner.

steve p

23:51 PM, 22nd December 2020
About a month ago

Reply to the comment left by Seething Landlord at 22/12/2020 - 21:04Ok so when they say fixed electrical equipment, they are talking about equipment that is used in the electrical installation, so consumer units would be a good example in a domestic property. The reason for the vagueness is because there are so many things you can have such as say if you have solar panels you would have an inverter, that is electrical equipment.
Cookers are not electrical equipment, they are cooking appliances that use electricity. Storage heaters etc are heating appliances. Just because they are fixed wire connected makes no difference.
They are a fixed appliance as apposed to something with a plug that would be a portable appliance
A switch or socket etc would be classed as an accessory but yes probably still come under electrical equipment and would be tested on an EICR
As for what tests well that would be a PAT test, which although stands for Portable Appliance Testing also covers fixed appliances, this is where people just trained to do PAT testing come unstuck because they cant do fixed appliances where as an electrician that also does PAT testing can do both..
There is no legal requirement to do PAT testing however they should be electrically safe. A PAT test is generally fairly basic to be honest checking the fuse is the correct rating, checking earth path etc however with molded plug tops people dont tend to mess about with them much these days. There are limitations to PAT testing though as a lot of equipment say like a washing machine would have a switch for the motor and heating element as you dont want it on all the time, only at certain points of a cycle, with no power and not during that phase of the cycle the switch will be off (or open), so any testing you do will not reach those parts of the appliance, it also does not test if you have a build up of lint that may cause a fire, I cant say dont bother as legally if covers you but there is also no comeback on the electrician if the thing shorts out the next day.
On a tenanted property or a property with large appliances on an EICR most electricians me included will not move the appliances and it will be a limitation as you dont want the risk of damaging the flooring or appliance, however what I do and I think most electricians would do is test if possible the earth path is continuous all the way to the metal parts of the appliance, thats the important bit from an electric shock point of view.
Hopefully that makes sense.

Seething Landlord

0:10 AM, 23rd December 2020
About a month ago

Reply to the comment left by steve p at 22/12/2020 - 23:51
Thanks Steve for such a comprehensive reply. Much appreciated.

David Price

10:36 AM, 23rd December 2020
About a month ago

When will landlords learn not to supply any electrical equipment. I do not supply a fridge, washing machine or cooker, the only electrical device I have is a heater which is required by statute. I learnt the hard way that anything supplied by the landlord is either stolen or destroyed. Tenants must learn to look after themselves and their own electrical equipment.

If its not there you don't have to test it.


10:53 AM, 23rd December 2020
About a month ago

Reply to the comment left by steve p at 22/12/2020 - 23:51
That is really helpful. thank you so much.


11:54 AM, 23rd December 2020
About a month ago

Reply to the comment left by David Price at 23/12/2020 - 10:36The problem is a lot of tenants are prepared to rent properties unfurnished which is how I rent all my properties these days however, most want the white goods which is what I supply.
I think David, you must have been very unfortunate as, in 25 years, I have never had any of these items stolen or damaged deliberately.
In saying that, I have had other parts of properties wrecked and left in disastrous states on some occasions and I have been letting properties out to many benefit tenants as well as working tenants.


12:02 PM, 23rd December 2020
About a month ago

Reply to the comment left by steve p at 22/12/2020 - 23:51
I was well aware that EICR did not cover appliances but, your explanation of what is considered as electrical equipment and what is considered as appliances is excellent.

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



Can I resolve noisy neighbour issue for my tenant?

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More