Damp problem in South Tyneside flats built on watercourses

Damp problem in South Tyneside flats built on watercourses

10:42 AM, 29th November 2012, About 11 years ago 5

Text Size


Readers Question

I have a few flats in South Tyneside, some of which are known to have been built on watercourses and have a damp problem ….  the phrase “I wish I’d know that when I bought it”, springs to mind.

One in particular in South Shields is giving me problems with damp, furry clothes and mould etc.  I have carried out a bit of market research myself and spoke to all the down stairs flat owners, some of which have lived there for 50 years !!!  They all know that there properties have water under them, and most of them suffer from damp.

I am trying to look for a resolution which could be a pump installed, Envirovent, or a damp course, all of which cost money and I don’t know if they’ll work.

Under the floor boards there is about 5 foot of space, and at least a foot of water, which I’m not sure if it rises or not ……  bit of a dilemma as to what to do for the best, and I was wondering if any reader have had a similar problem.  I’d really appreciate some advice or help …..

Thank you.

Julie Dawson



Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

13:37 PM, 29th November 2012, About 11 years ago

Hi Julie - I have used Envirovent personally and have been very impressed. I'm not sure whether they will solve your problem but as they offer a free survey and a guarantee that their product will solve the problem if you follow their recommendations it certainly worth calling them out. I wrote an article about my experiences recently here >>> http://www.property118.com/?p=32387

Julie Dawson

14:40 PM, 29th November 2012, About 11 years ago

Hi Mark, I saw your video, and have met a local guy before at a netwirking event, I'll give him a call, thanks again

Pete Judd

18:13 PM, 29th November 2012, About 11 years ago

I'm not and expert but I have used products from http://www.twistfix.co.uk for damp proofing and also for tanking which have been effective for me . I know they also have pumps on their website. They also have advice on their website and "how to leaflets" on such things as water proofing basments/how to drain water etc. I'm not trying to advertise them but you will be able to get some idea of price and techniques which might work from this site.

Joe Bloggs

12:34 PM, 30th November 2012, About 11 years ago

im assuming this is a ground floor flat? the first step is to establish the origin of the water. i dont buy the water course/underground stream theory so often heard. more likely a leaking pipe. if it were mine, i would get a submersible pump to drain and then observe where the water is entering and whether any correlation with rainfall. is it coming though party walls? check water meter dials too.

15:44 PM, 30th November 2012, About 11 years ago

Inspect your home after regular interval of time especially during the wet and windy weather so that you can detect the main cause of damp ceiling. The main reason for dams is water or flood damage in your home and to get rid of this problem you should dry out your property quickly. There are various chemical and physical methods of removing damp. Physical methods involve brickwork replacement with damp proof material and the chemical method involves the insertion of a plastic membrane. Apart from this sub-floor extraction, fans and dehumidifiers are also used. I think this link http://www.allkarepropertydryingout.co.uk/_blog/Allkare_Flood_Damage_Blog/post/How_to_Dry_Out_a_Property/ may be useful to you guys as there is a pretty detailed description on how to dry out a property.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now