Conforming with regulations?

Conforming with regulations?

9:24 AM, 21st November 2022, About 2 weeks ago 21

Text Size

Hello, I have 2 questions about the practical approach to meeting regulations.

I have just requested an electrical safety check which the property has failed with a number of C2 faults. I have asked for an estimate for rectifying the faults which the electrician is preparing, but he has said that he can’t do the work until the new year.

That leaves me in breach of the law as the faults should be rectified within 28 days.

Chatting informally to another electrician he said they don’t like checking each other’s work and if he was to take it on he would have to start again with all checks.

Any advice please?

2nd question. If major repairs are necessary, maybe hypothetically electrical or maybe mould (we don’t have any), can this be grounds for a landlord to evict a tenant in order to carry out the work.

If not, how are we supposed to get it done?

Thank you,



Seething Landlord

13:57 PM, 21st November 2022, About 2 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by Bob Lowden at 21/11/2022 - 13:18
Are you now saying that there are no C2 faults? I thought that was the nub of your original question.

Paul landlord

17:01 PM, 21st November 2022, About 2 weeks ago

As a registered building control inspector (electrical) myself for many years, I wholeheartedly agree with eveyone else that you need to get someone else in to re-inspect and test. I would also concur with other Inspectors- no way on this earth am I accepting someone else's report. It's my signature on the cert and my 'ass in a sling' if it's not right.

If you pay someone else to do a retest and inspect (we don't work for free), I would ask them if they can ensure that they can carry out any remedial work necessary within the time frame. If not forget them. I do have to point out all trades are snowed under at the moment.

Hope this helps


17:51 PM, 21st November 2022, About 2 weeks ago

My understanding is that you dont need a second test after the faults are fixed, (assuming you agree that they are faults)

Seething Landlord

18:52 PM, 21st November 2022, About 2 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by David at 21/11/2022 - 17:51
If I remember correctly, you need to obtain written confirmation that the remedial work has been carried out and to send this to the local authority with a copy of the original EICR.

There are also requirements about providing copies to the tenant within specified timescales.


19:03 PM, 21st November 2022, About 2 weeks ago

Whoever you use there’s a good chance you’ll have to pay good money. One of my certificates cost me £1750 for a bit of lighting wire which could have done myself for £50 but I don’t have the right qualifications! The certificates has since been framed!


21:06 PM, 21st November 2022, About 2 weeks ago

As an NICEIC electrician for 30 years working for letting agents, i said it was waste of time and money to test - if really bad, no pont testing, get work done and then get clean test. If just minor, quick to remedy while testing - saved filling in fail boxes on the forms, which often took longer than fixing the problem. common faults - pendant light flexes with wires showing, cracked socket or light switch, blanks missing from consumer unit, wrong fuse in fcu's.

Jonathan Cocks

21:30 PM, 21st November 2022, About 2 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by Ararat at 21/11/2022 - 21:06
I very much applaud the way you work with your client.


22:07 PM, 21st November 2022, About 2 weeks ago

Well, it was for my benefit as well, nothing more boring or demoralising than going round properties filling in reams of forms listing faults. much rather get the tools out and do something productive, then the forms are simple.

Peter Edmonds

10:05 AM, 22nd November 2022, About 2 weeks ago

I was in the maintaining field before retiring and my electrical qualification was well out of date. I got an electrician to test last year and he came out with a quote of £1500. Luckily one of my own staff went on to teach electricians so I asked him to look at report. He immediately said exergeration on work needed and price. A new electrician charged me £350 for all the work that was required for a certificate and a new certificate. In addition to required work as he said he was charging me for a day work. If I gave him a consumer unit he would change that as well in the price. The consumer unit was old and I took that option (£60.00 toolstation) even though it was only a recommendation.


9:47 AM, 26th November 2022, About 2 weeks ago

If you are in doubt about the adequacy of an EICR and how it is reported on you can get the NICEIC or NAPIT to help interpret it or ask a trusted experienced electrician that works on domestic electrical installations. This is not always the case but if you get a quotation less then £150.00 to do a domestic electrical inspection ask how long the inspection will take to do. Some people quote a very cheap price to do the inspection and try and recover the cost on remedial works regardless of if they are required or not. Ther person that said they bought a £60.00 CCU in Toolstation and asked the electrician to fit, it is unlikely the £60.00 CCU would comply with all regulations for rental properties particularly for consideration for SPD & RCBO which is the most appropriate options for rental dwellings. If there are only 2 circuits, you might get the CCU for that price. I am working in the industry for 40years.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now