EICR requires full re-wire?

EICR requires full re-wire?

14:08 PM, 6th October 2022, About 2 months ago 31

Text Size

Hello, Our flat in London has failed its EICR with code 2s and 3s. The electrician says it needs a full re-wire.

That’s ok (except that it will cost) as the flat’s wiring is maybe 40 yrs old.

What I need advice on is what, as landlords, is our position?

The managing agent has established that doing the work with the tenants in situ is not feasible and that they are agreeable to vacating the property in spring for 2 weeks.

How long can we wait before starting the work?

If we need them to vacate sooner they ask for a month rent free for two weeks of disruption.

That’s ok so far (except for the loss of income) but they have a lot of furniture (in addition to what we as landlords provide), and a lot of stuff that they say they have nowhere to put.

Our furniture could be moved into middle of rooms and covered.

They expect us to pay for removal, storage and moving back of their stuff. We’d rather not get involved in that.

Are we obliged to do it?





17:04 PM, 6th October 2022, About 2 months ago

Just as one would with a medical condition requiring an operation, I would suggest getting a second opinion to ensure the electrician isn't making extra work for himself and profiting from it.

It's been apparent from other posts about EICRs that not all electricians are as honest as they should be about work needed to be done.

Seething Landlord

19:49 PM, 6th October 2022, About 2 months ago

Please read the Regulations very carefully before agreeing to defer the work.

The basic requirements are to:
1: provide a copy of the EICR to the Local Authority
2: have the work carried out within 28 days


21:49 PM, 6th October 2022, About 2 months ago

Thank you for the advice. Have found out about the 28 day time period and we are taking steps to arrange for the work, but sending EICR to local authority is a new one - is it a requirement only if it fails so they can check the work's been done? Will check it out with managing agent. Am getting second opinion/quote to make sure we're not being taken for a ride.

Seething Landlord

0:59 AM, 7th October 2022, About 2 months ago

You can find the Regulations at:

It is reg 3 (5) (c) that sets out the requirement to send a copy of the report to the LA with written confirmation that the work has been completed. For some reason this is not included in the guidance for landlords, which only mentions sending the confirmation. See:
Don't overlook the other requirements


6:54 AM, 7th October 2022, About 2 months ago

40 years is not old for wiring. It will be grey pvc twin & earth and that really doesn't deteriorate like the old rubber stuff.

I'd ask a second electrician to review the work list and quote for what he thinks necessary.

Nat Patel

14:25 PM, 7th October 2022, About 2 months ago

I had a problem with 3 properties like to like.
Agency sent their electrician and charged me too. Agency said need work urgently.
When failed I demanded failed certificate and a note. When printed, many of them were not required to do.
I saw the report to the new electrician my friend recommended.
He told me the same as I said earlier. I went with him to talk to tenants and tenants agreed to carry out the work and completed it in 2 days the cost was bearable too even though he changed the New fuse box.
You definitely need 2nd opinion.
I will be happy to assist you with an electrician if you need one. I am also in North London.
Good luck.
Regards, Nat.

Simon M

14:41 PM, 7th October 2022, About 2 months ago

Wiring that's 40 years old is fine if it's in decent condition and any changes have been done to a good standard. You are obliged to get the code 2s done - the electrician is reporting they're unsafe. Code 3s are recommendations.

A lot depends on how many code 2s you have, the work for each and whether the electrician is trying to generate extra income. Given the way some high street agents work, I'd be more sceptical if your agent arranged the EICR, though now you have the report done you must take it at face value.

Ask locally, and not through your agent, for a reliable electrician they trust to quote for the individual code 2s and the full rewire.

If another electrician does the code 2s it might cost a lot less than the removal and rewire.


9:33 AM, 8th October 2022, About 2 months ago

I’m an electrician, 40 years is not old, I’d be amazed if it needs a full rewire.
Can you post the full EICR on this post, I’ll let you have my thoughts on the extent of the work.


9:37 AM, 8th October 2022, About 2 months ago

It is usual that the main reason for a rewire is if the insulation resistance of the cables has failed or the wrong size cables were used. Most everything else can be resolved with remedial works on the accessories or the main fuse board. Sometimes if metal lighting accessories are connected to the electrical circuits without an earth cable this can be of concern, but plastic fittings can usually be fitted. No doubt if the property was vacant and there were considerable defects then a rewire may be the best option. I have noticed and have heard some electricians are doing inspections for less than £100.00. It is my believe this is low so the short fall is made up by remedial works whether or not they are required. From my experience you will not do an electrical inspection and complete a report in less than 3 to 4 hours particularly if is the first inspection since the original installation (be it 30 years ago or 10) and no records are available. Even on a reasonably new installation (5 years old) it will take 2 hours on site and an period of time for the documentation. It may be worth asking another company to report on the report with a reduced fee particularly just to report on the items that received a FI, C1 or C2. We all need to show up the people that are under-pricing the inspections just to scam on the remedial works. No doubt all good tradespersons will do the inspection in the interest of safety and not in financial interest.


12:16 PM, 8th October 2022, About 2 months ago

I had an EICR done last year , they wanted to rip out the fuse board, new wiring etc etc etc. Strangely or not the first thing I was asked was if I was renting it out ? That put me on red alert and I'd already found out that the fuse board which is on an outside wall would not need changing even though it's plastic and not metal. Anyway they wanted £1200 to do all this work. I spoke to NICEIC and sent them the report to which they said it appears that there is no need to change the fusebox. I spoke to the company who carried out the EICR who said they can only do these checks based on current regulations so that's why they failed it. CURRENT REGULATIONS DO NOT MAKE YOUR INSTALLATION UNSAFE . Yes there are certain circumstances such as a fusebox underneath a staircase or on an exit route but I was told if it's plastic it's an instant fail....bullsh@t ! Mine is on an outside brick wall . I got a second opinion and they totally agreed . Anyway the 2nd guy did a retest and remedial work costing about 800 all in. I told the first company to do something with their bill and they dropped the matter after I told them I'd been in touch with NICEIC . My advice is try to do some research on these things ..it may take time but it probably will save you a lot of money and give you a lot more satisfaction 😉

1 2 3 4

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now