A familiar story I believe?

A familiar story I believe?

11:14 AM, 21st April 2022, About 4 weeks ago 29

Text Size

I have issued a S21 to a tenant. I need to sell the house (they have never been a great tenant!). The council and Shelter have apparently advised the tenant to stay put – a familiar story I believe?

The tenant says the council has said some social housing is being built and she will get one, but even if true there is no timescale.

I have checked and double-checked and the S21 notice is valid – safety certs, deposit, prescribed info etc are all compliant. So my question is, can I go it alone or is it sensible to ask a company, or a solicitor to handle it?

I haven’t done this before. I don’t mind paying out to ensure it goes through, but who do I use?

I’ve only heard of Landlord Action.




by Neil Patterson

11:16 AM, 21st April 2022, About 4 weeks ago

To contact Landlord Action please see >> https://www.property118.com/evicting-tenants/

by DSR

14:48 PM, 21st April 2022, About 4 weeks ago

if everything is in place then if by the S21 expiry date she has not left then you can progress to the Accelerated S21 route (by doing it yourself) or getting someone to do it for you. As you have not given a reason for the eviction they will not be able to counterclaim against you so if the paperwork is in order it can be a tick box ticking job by the judge as no court case required.

If the judge then gives a date and person has still not left then its bailiffs...

Get in touch with DWP and fill out a UC47 - if he is still getting UC then they can start taking out some of it to pay off arrears (something at lease). Le them know he has been served as S21. Also worth informing tenant that Social Housing also require references from outgoing LL's and an application for housing does take this info account and rent arrears have to be declared. She might think twice if she knows she may not be offered anything down the line if she messes up now... Tell her to apply for a DHP to cover rent arrears too via local council.

by DSR

14:49 PM, 21st April 2022, About 4 weeks ago

any solicitor specialising in housing will take this on. Ring around for quotes or does your LL insurance cover possession?

by Simon M

11:27 AM, 22nd April 2022, About 4 weeks ago

Annie, You're doing the right thing - it does sound as if you'll resolve this more quickly if you pay a specialist. I've heard Possession Friend mentioned as well. Worth a call but I haven't used so it's not an endorsement.

Until you succeed have no faith in the tenant's claims about what the council may have said - even if it's true it just means they're joining in her delaying tactics.

by NewYorkie

11:44 AM, 22nd April 2022, About 4 weeks ago

Social housing has massive problems, made so much worse by the huge influx of refugees and illegal economic migrants who appear to be getting priority treatment. Councils and HAs have no responsibility to prioritise PRS tenants, especially if they've been 'problematical'. Your tenant will not get social housing!

I have a very good tenant, but feel I need to serve a S21 because I want to sell and can't risk her not leaving. Of course, because she is such a good tenant, a buyer is likely to want to keep her on, rather than go through the rigmarole of finding a new [unknown] tenant. Here's hoping!

Last year I used The Landlord Group for a S8. Very efficient. Ask for Julian Meek.

by Annie Landlord

11:52 AM, 22nd April 2022, About 4 weeks ago

Thanks for all the replies. Tenant says the council has told them to clear the arrears and keep paying the rent - so after being in arrears for over a year, they have suddenly paid up! I will check if there is any help available from my insurers - thanks for that advice. Also thanks DSR for the detailed advice. The NRLA helpline was helpful when I first called them, so I will double check the process with them. I will google Possession Friend and also check out some local solicitors. The tenant is clearly thinking that the council will give them a bright new house, not realising how unlikely that is in the short term.


11:55 AM, 22nd April 2022, About 4 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by Annie Landlord at 22/04/2022 - 11:52
I have used possession friend who was excellent at spotting the tiny errors that catch you out even when you think you have done everything correctly.

by Blodwyn

12:22 PM, 22nd April 2022, About 4 weeks ago

DON'T act for yourself!
New Yorkie has an excellent recommendation backed with experience, as has GREENDIZZYCRAB. The Council told the T to pay the arrears??? Wow!!! You are lucky?

by Annie Landlord

12:24 PM, 22nd April 2022, About 4 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by GREENDIZZYCRAB at 22/04/2022 - 11:55
Thanks. I am going to check them out

by Rerktyne

12:26 PM, 22nd April 2022, About 4 weeks ago

The authorities will always tell them to stay put because they don’t want to house them at all or at least not straight way. This is because of the new situation created by the government- the desperate shortage of private rentals - when it started and then continued to attack landlords many of whom have now gone over to short term lettings and Airbnb. I have done so and I do just enough to match the income from normal lettings. Why? I don’t dare take on tenants again. Once bitten by a viper - with the council on its side - 10 million times shy! It’s the authorities who are to blame. It is they who are causing decent landlords to quit!

1 2 3

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?


Landlord Tax Planning Book Now