10:27 AM, 31st January 2022, About 4 months ago 4
Hi, I realise I need professional assistance for this, which I plan to do in the following weeks, but I am wondering if anyone has any advice.
– I bought a property with a short lease of 26 years remaining. The property was approx £100,000 with an estimated cost of £70-80,000 to purchase the freehold. The development value of around £210,000 once completed/more if converted to flats.
– The previous owner agreed to serve notice, so I could purchase the freehold without waiting the 2 years.
-The Solicitor did not send the notice off in time and as a result, lost this right and there was a large ground rent increase also.
– The 2-year period passed, at which point there was talk about leasehold reform, abolishing marriage value etc, so I have waited another 2 years (4 years in total) with the hope of this happening. I understand these things take time. If the marriage value is abolished, I believe the premium for the freehold would be a lot lower.
I’m not sure what the best course of action here is. General thoughts on the thoughts would be welcomed.
1) If the marriage value is abolished/enfranchisement is reformed, the premium could be a lot less. Waiting is risky. Potential upside/potential downside?
2) I’m thinking of looking into claiming against the solicitor for negligence – which might cover the 2 year period in which the premium increased.
3) Can anyone recommend a lease specialist who might be able to help?
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.
|“Account”||means an account required to access and/or use certain areas and features of Our Site;|
|“Cookie”||means a small text file placed on your computer or device by Our Site when you visit certain parts of Our Site and/or when you use certain features of Our Site. Details of the Cookies used by Our Site are set out in section 13, below;|
|“Cookie Law”||means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003;|
|“personal data”||means any and all data that relates to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified from that data. In this case, it means personal data that you give to Us via Our Site. This definition shall, where applicable, incorporate the definitions provided in the EU Regulation 2016/679 – the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”); and|
|“We/Us/Our”||Means Property118 Ltd , a limited company registered in England under company number 10295964, whose registered address is 1st Floor, Woburn House, 84 St Benedicts Street, Norwich, NR2 4AB.|
|Name of Cookie||Purpose||Strictly Necessary|
|JSESSIONID||Used only to collect performance data, with any identifiable data obfuscated||No|
|__cfduid||This cookie is strictly necessary for Cloudflare's security features and cannot be turned off.||Yes|
|Name of Cookie||First / Third Party||Provider||Purpose|
|__utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmt, __utmz||First||Helps to understand how their visitors engage with our website|
|_fbp||First||Helps to understand how their visitors engage with our website|