Surely I am not the only landlord worried about new EPC requirements?

Surely I am not the only landlord worried about new EPC requirements?

9:44 AM, 17th February 2021, About 4 months ago 147

Text Size

Hello, I was wondering if Property118 could shed some light on the new proposed changes to the EPC requirements – my understanding is that over the next few years 2025 onwards, properties in the PRS have to be rated a C as a minimum. Currently, has to be above an E.

My worry is that the government seems to be applying this rule to all properties regardless of age, although I think it may be different if it is listed. It is not difficult for a new property to meet the requirements of a C or about.

However, as the owner of several Victorian terraces, it is much more difficult if not impossible to get this rating. For example, we do not have cavity walls. I have done all the usual things like loft insulation, double glazing, energy-efficient boilers etc etc but other suggested improvements seem to be a lot of outlay for very little impact on the EPC.

For example, I think the only improvement that has been suggested is using solar panels, but the property is not suitable for solar panels.  I am concerned that I may not be able to meet the new requirements despite my best efforts.

Surely I am not the only landlord who is worried about this?

Is there a campaign to ask for property age to be taken into consideration?

Su

Comments

by Mick Roberts

12:38 PM, 10th June 2021, About 2 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by Seething Landlord at 10/06/2021 - 12:28
That's the thing, let's hope everyone thinks like u.

But for years, they've been telling us Electric storage heaters are bad, I'd guess most of us have got combi's, now they want us to go back to ruddy electric.

And 2028 for existing tenants is no time in my world. That will fly by & tenant ain't gonna' understand when u tell her I've not wanted your home for a long time (not cause of u), & this EPC is final straw. I reckon 90% of my tenants don't know what EPC is.

by David Price

12:59 PM, 10th June 2021, About 2 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by Mick Roberts at 10/06/2021 - 12:38
Only 90%! I now print my EPC's on tissue paper and punch a hole in the corner, that at least gives them a second use (remember to fold them with the print inside).

by Mick Roberts

15:30 PM, 10th June 2021, About 2 weeks ago

Reply to the comment left by David Price at 10/06/2021 - 12:59
Ha ha for years none of em knew but I'm someone said the other day Ooh is that one of them energy things. So they may just be hearing about em.

by DSR

17:18 PM, 11th June 2021, About A week ago

The 'value' of an EPC to any of my tenants is pointless. They are not in the position of 'choosing' where to live based on the energy performance of a building - its a case of a property or carry on living in a shared house, hostel, mobile home/holiday camp/hotel care of the LA. My properties are up to the best possible enviro standards as they can be given the restrictions (grade 2 listed building) but there is only so much I can do. Is there going to be a new Section 8 Ground that a LL can rely on for possession that states' vacant possession required as a direct result of the Government's pledge to raise enviro standards for tenants'??

by Rennie

22:44 PM, 13th June 2021, About A week ago

Reply to the comment left by Bob S at 30/03/2021 - 14:26
Perhaps learning a little about a private, quiet trust may be helpful for you. I can't really recommend anything as I am just starting on the journey myself but you could look on YouTube or Bitchute or Rumble. My understanding is that provided you learn your lesson well and know how to protect your private trust you won't have to pay any attention to all this insanity. The government's aim is to dispossess everyone of their property so they really aren't going to be amenable to ideas of fairness in anything they do

by Seething Landlord

0:34 AM, 14th June 2021, About A week ago

Reply to the comment left by Rennie at 13/06/2021 - 22:44
I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. What difference does it make to the EPC requirements if the property is held in a trust?

by Mick Roberts

7:08 AM, 14th June 2021, About A week ago

Reply to the comment left by DSR at 11/06/2021 - 17:18
Great words & yes, tenants pay a certain amount, they don't live in New Build standards house as they don't want to, nor can afford the high rent it would require:

Could do with more like
As a direct result of Licensing & Universal Credit & Section 24 & getting up at 4am to do training course when I'm 70 when I nor the tenant has got a problem & I'm trying to charge the tenant cheaper rent but u making this very hard, & the list goes on.

1 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15