Legionella testing on a single private dwelling – really?

Legionella testing on a single private dwelling – really?

9:30 AM, 22nd July 2014, About 10 years ago 21

Text Size

I rent out a property which belonged to my mother before she died.

It is a 3 bed semi with an enclosed (multi-point) central heating system. My agent insists I have a Legionella report done on the property. Do I really need one, they have threatened to terminate my contract if I don’t have it done.

Additionally I signed my original contract with the agent, but it has now been taken over by another company, is my contract still legally binding?

Many thanks


Share This Article


Neil Patterson

9:35 AM, 22nd July 2014, About 10 years ago

Hi Janet,

I know next to noting on this subject other than what I can Google. I am concerned that your agent for what ever reason is so concerned that they are threatening not to take your business.

You really need to find out form them why first, but I am hoping we have readers that can help on this subject as I thought possibly like you it was more of an aircon issue!

Ian Ringrose

9:44 AM, 22nd July 2014, About 10 years ago

Is any hot water stored in a tank?

Is there a cold water tank in the loft?

If the answer to both questions is no, then I think you agent is just after a kit back from the company that does the testing.

Paul Maguire

10:12 AM, 22nd July 2014, About 10 years ago

I've just had a Legionella Risk Assessment done {£60] as I was told by the company I use to do the safety certs that it was now law but turned out that the Council weren't expecting one to be supplied. If your property has a combi boiler and the tenants keep the showerhead clean there's little chance of it ever being a problem but HSE as always give their guidance on keeping your ass covered. I've also discovered that I need to buy a new gas cooker as the current one doesn't have fail safe devices on the burners in case the flame gets blown out. Legislation stops for no-one.

Fed Up Landlord

10:47 AM, 22nd July 2014, About 10 years ago

Read the HSE guidelines on it. It basically is a "risk assessment". You do not need to get a 12 month "legionella certificate". http://www.hse.gov.uk/legionnaires/what-you-must-do.htm has got all what you need. But the WRAS report states:

"Hot water storage cylinders that maintain a temperature of 60 degrees
C throughout the whole storage vessel for a period of one hour daily should achieve satisfactory control of Legionella bacteria, in line with recommendations in

So in your risk assessment you ascertain that the hot water cylinder is 60 degrees or above on the boiler setting. In the cold water tank legionnaires only propogates between 20 and 45 degrees. If you stick your thermometer into the tank and its below this then no problem.

So save yourself £60.00. If its law now then me and thousands of other landlords must have missed it.

Simon Topple

13:55 PM, 22nd July 2014, About 10 years ago

My agency in Nottingham insists on it - it is a legal requirement but one that most people do not know about. We will be rolling it out in a year - we have more important areas to focus on rather than this - 99% of our properties are on combis so very low risk.

On the other hand, Flame devices on hobs being required is not new - I was in my local supplier of white goods yesterday, and there was a wall notice saying that if you were buying a hob for a flat it would need a hob with a flame supervision device, and it was a CORGI notice! Shows how old that is then!

Fed Up Landlord

14:13 PM, 22nd July 2014, About 10 years ago

Simon which piece of legislation makes this compulsory?

Simon Topple

14:27 PM, 22nd July 2014, About 10 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Gary Nock" at "22/07/2014 - 14:13":


More info here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/legionnaires/what-you-must-do.htm

Actual legislation is mentioned in the second link.

Andrew Taylor

17:47 PM, 22nd July 2014, About 10 years ago

I've had my 20 properties tested last month. Used agreement through EMPO. Was I a risk? Never. But it's just one of those costs of doing business we have to all bare.

Jireh Homes

19:56 PM, 22nd July 2014, About 10 years ago

This topic came up at a recent Landlord Forum and it was confirmed they was no requirement to pay for an Assessment, simply that a Risk Assessment had been undertaken and guidance provided on the topic for the tenants. This includes as mentioned above keeping HW tank /combi boiler above a mimimum temperature, and if the property vacant for a period, to run the taps / shower for a period prior to use.

The fail safe on gas hobs in flats has been a rule for a long time.

Paul Maguire

21:45 PM, 22nd July 2014, About 10 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Jireh Homes" at "22/07/2014 - 19:56":

The gas safety inspections must have just missed checking my hob then until this year. Mind you, I've got an old 7 1/2 ton truck that passed 5 HGV MOT's without having a silencer which came as a surprise. I did wonder why I attracted so much attention when driving it though.

1 2 3

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now