Internal Glass Door Regulation

Internal Glass Door Regulation

9:39 AM, 18th November 2014, About 9 years ago 12

Text Size

One of the properties I have just purchased as a buy to let has three glass doors in place of different designs. Internal Glass Door Regulation

The internal vestibule door is wooden panel to bottom and full glass panel to top single paned and doesn’t look toughened. The bathroom door has full length glass obscure in wooden frame which again looks does not toughened. The kitchen door has 4 glass panels in a wooden frame in a vertical make up (vertical row of four door width panes).

I am sure the full glass door will need changing but what about the other two regards regulations, do they need changing to toughened glass?


Martin Gardner


Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

9:40 AM, 18th November 2014, About 9 years ago

Good question Martin, it's something I've not previously considered and look forward to reading any responses.

Martin Gardner

10:12 AM, 18th November 2014, About 9 years ago

Internet is such a wonderful thing just found some information on this and feedback would be appreciated.

All full length internal glass doors must have toughened glass fitted. Also windows that come under 800mm from the floor must have toughened glass fitted. When replacing glass in furniture (such as glass table tops, these MUST be replaced with suitable toughened glass. Failure to ensure the correct glass being fitted may render you liable for prosecution under the Health And Safety at Work Act 1974, General Product Safety Regulations 2005 and Consumer Protection Act 1987.

Small glass panes (Georgian Type doors) with smaller dimension up to 250mm, and a total area of up to 0.5m2 do not need to be made of safety glass if they are thick enough (6mm in most cases).

The Construction Products Regulations 2013 cover glazing. If you are buying replacement glazing, safety glass must be used in critical locations, as follows:

• any glazing that is less than 800mm from the floor
• any glazing in a door that is less than 1500mm from the floor, or within 300mm either side of a door.

However, if you are buying a replacement door, for example, with small panes, it is better to choose safety glass if it is available.

Martin Gardner

10:19 AM, 18th November 2014, About 9 years ago LINK to a good image illustration for area of glass thats needs to be safe.


11:50 AM, 18th November 2014, About 9 years ago

Toughened Glass has a kite mark etched in the corner of the Glass,

david Earnshaw

14:58 PM, 18th November 2014, About 9 years ago

It is not unknown for them to miss off the kitemark as basically its blasted on after its toughened.

Ian Ringrose

16:13 PM, 18th November 2014, About 9 years ago

I believe that the The Court of Appeal has ruled on this in Alker v Collingwood Housing Association - The landlord was not required to put in safety glass as long as he fitted the glass before the requirement to do so became part of the building regulations.


18:25 PM, 18th November 2014, About 9 years ago

I'm pleased to read Ian's last comment. I have just had yet another inspection by the Council on my one and only upmarket HMO and there is one door, between an individual's bedroom and her personal living room, which has a full length glass panel - the ribbed sort - fitted years before I bought it. The EO was feeling kind to me (as I have had such a nightmare with them over the property) and said that I simply needed to fit a perspex film over it - so that if it shattered the glass would not fly everywhere. I don't like it much anyway so will replace it in due course for a half glazed, fully compliant door, but it does let in a lot of light. Tenant wants to keep it just as it is of course. Anyone's home and it would be fine - rental property simply does not conform to current regs. My daughter lives in an HMO in Germany and they all have full length glass doors leading onto the kitchen - gorgeous but would never be allowed over here. Remind me to sell up soon 🙂

David Sanderson

19:33 PM, 18th November 2014, About 9 years ago

Martin is correct about critical glazing zones which is taken from Part K? of the Building Regulations. This only applies in new builds / alterations and cannot be enforced in retrospect EXCEPT by an EHO inspecting a rented property under HHSRS.
The glazing maybe kept if toughened , laminated or coated with a safety film.
I advise landlords to remove any glazing in doors simply because it makes sense to minimise the potential for damage and injury. Unless it is required as a vison panel where someone might get slammed by an opening door. Oh, yes and fire doors bring another dimension to the topic.


20:25 PM, 18th November 2014, About 9 years ago

Hi David,

Sorry to appear dim, but what other circumstances are there when it cannot be enforced? Aren't we always talking about rented properties on this site? This inspection wasn't particularly for an HHSRS but just routine (probably because the neighbours moaned about he rubbish bin).

Whilst the safety of my tenants is of paramount importance to me, this is a room with only this door (and another half glazed door) for proper light to her bedroom, so we don't have much of an alternative. It hasn't caused a problem for the last twenty years, but that isn't to say it couldn't happen one day. I am adding a safety film at the very least. It doesn't have to be a fire door - but I know what you mean.....

Rob Crawford

23:13 PM, 18th November 2014, About 9 years ago

You have done a hazard risk assessment and have identified a hazard in the glass fitted to your doors - well done. You are aware that current standards would not permit the use of non toughened glass, for good reasons. You, the landlord, now need to mitigate or eliminate the risk. Considering the potential severity of the injury if someone falls onto the panel and breaks the glass (even if coated with some sort of film) I would suggest replacing the glass with toughened glass is your only option. Make sure the BS kite marks are visible or don't accept it. If the Council suggest adhering a filed to the glass and an accident still happens you the landlord will still be responsible - not the Council! Martin, I think you have answered your own question, the safety at work standards are those that I would have mentioned. I would also stick some horizontal stripes at eye and knee level on full height glass panel doors.

1 2

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now