Does new consumer unit mandate a new EICR?

Does new consumer unit mandate a new EICR?

9:23 AM, 30th April 2021, About 2 years ago 11

Text Size

I have a 70s purpose-built flat which passed it’s EICR 6 months ago. Back then I didn’t have enough funds to get a new consumer unit so was relieved that EICR passed without me having to upgrade, and I was told everything looks safe.

Now I’m thinking of getting it replaced (it’s still working fine), but will that mean my existing EICR will become invalid, and I’ll have to redo it?

I am getting different advice from different electricians so would appreciate some clarification.


Share This Article



10:19 AM, 30th April 2021, About 2 years ago

If you have any work done after a passed EICR and the new work is compliant with current regulations and certified, then I don’t see why you’d need to have your EICR redone. Sounds to me like the electrician that told you otherwise is trying to make a quick buck.

paul robinson

10:34 AM, 30th April 2021, About 2 years ago

Electrician would need to provide relevant test/install cert for new CU works with any associated testing required, but unlikely to have to tests away from the works area or the whole system as would do with an EICR.

If already had an EICR done and issued. Then any subsequent remedial works done, just need to append confirmation along with the associated testing/certification required to the EICR to demonstrate the rental electrical installation is safe as required by the the law.

paul kaye

10:34 AM, 30th April 2021, About 2 years ago

a NEW consumer unit (fuse box)is a notifiable work.All registered electricians are able to self certify their work.
They will issue you with the legally binding requirement building regulations compliance certificate.
You can just attach this to your EICR
If it were me,I would leave well alone,as EICR'S Last 5 years

rita chawla

11:31 AM, 30th April 2021, About 2 years ago

Thanks all for your feedback, much appreciated.

Pat Simpson

12:05 PM, 30th April 2021, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by rita chawla at 30/04/2021 - 11:31
I have had 6 of my properties pass the EICR
and my electrician took time to explain the reports. He clearly told me that the consumer boxes are compliant as they are already in situ. If you have a Re-wire etc then a new metal box would be required . So to answer the original Q the box is legal

Darren Peters

17:44 PM, 30th April 2021, About 2 years ago

If the existing consumer unit is compliant to the latest standards, has been tested 6 months' ago and is safe why change it? Perhaps plan to have it changed in 4 1/2 years _if_ it is no longer compliant then.

Or are you in a situation where you have an unsafe unit marked safe that you want to replace with a safe unit that will be deemed unsafe? Until you get it recertified a least.

Silver Flier

3:44 AM, 1st May 2021, About 2 years ago

You haven't explained why you want to replace the Consumer Unit, when you've already got a satisfactory EICR. The fact that it is plastic is not a good reason by itself.
In my experience the testing required with a new CU is more thorough than for an EICR which allows sampling. The electrician has to produce a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate which looks like an EICR but it's on a different form.
The cost is likely to be more than 400 pounds, so better to wait until you need a new EICR.

Michael Barnes

16:20 PM, 3rd May 2021, About 2 years ago

If your "consumer unit" contains fuses, then it is probably worth getting it replaced, as circuit breakers will offer greater safety.

If it already contains circuit breakers, then it is probably not worth getting it replaced.

steve p

22:53 PM, 4th May 2021, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Michael Barnes at 03/05/2021 - 16:20
Sorry but what electrical qualifications is that nugget of rubbish come from?

There is a requirement for circuits to have fault protection, this means that their will with automatic disconnect within 0.4 seconds, depending on the Zs (ill ignore TT earthing systems for now) and fault current a fuse may blow quicker than an mcb .

So to make it totally clear mcb's do not necessarily offer any greater safety, they are more convenient as they are easier to reset, they also cannot have the wrong fuse or wire inserted which is a a safety improvement, but not a great one.

The much bigger safety improvement is the addition of additional protection in the way of a 30ma RCD, this protects life rather than fault protection which is in place to protect the wiring. This is a great improvement to the safety, and even if its only marked as a C3 I would highly recommend a consumer unit swap which is maybe why the OP is changing the consumer unit which I congratulate you.

Now to answer the OP question, you will receive an Electrical installation certificate, this will cover you for all circuits in the consumer unit, if you have other consumer units then the EICR will cover those. Next question will be when do I need a new EICR, if you have other circuits not covered by the EIC with the new consumer unit then the date on the EICR, if all circuits are covered by the EIC then 5yrs from the date of the EIC.

Paul Fisher

15:54 PM, 6th January 2023, About 9 months ago

@ Michael Barnes. I have had a consumer unit changed at a domestic premises (only one CU) and the electrician who signed it off with a Domestic EIC tells me it covers all circuits in the house for 5 years. I now need to let the house to the local Council, as I have to live away to help a sick relative. The Council are insisting on an EICR. I have told them that the Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate, that I have given them, covers the same function, but they still insist. Where is it written please so I can point them at some actual words that say I do not need an EICR when I have a new EIC for a new Consumer Unit, the only one in domestic premises, which all circuits pass through? Thanks.

1 2

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now