Boiler certificate held up but looking to sell?

Boiler certificate held up but looking to sell?

11:44 AM, 24th August 2021, About 3 years ago 5

Text Size

Hi Everyone, I recently had a new boiler fitted in a one-bed flat currently let on a rolling periodic AST. The job was done on 20th July and I am still waiting for the benchmark certificate from the plumber.

He has blamed Glow Worm for messing things up?

I want to move forward with the sale of my flats and want to move the tenant on from this flat. I have heard conflicting things about issuing section 21s when gas safety certificates are not in place. The other 3 flats had theirs done around the same time.

Many thanks


Share This Article


Paul Shears

19:57 PM, 24th August 2021, About 3 years ago

I would have thought that all you need is a gas safety certificate. If your boiler is avoiding the responsibility, then just hire someone else to issue on as if the boiler has not just been installed.
Of course this does not address the warranty issue but it does get round the section 21 problem I think.

Judith Wordsworth

7:52 AM, 25th August 2021, About 3 years ago

If you sell the property as vacant possession you don't need a gas safety certificate. The benchmark cert will be needed or you can pay an indemnity insurance for the buyers. Believe should be between £35-75 depending which insurance companies. Think your solicitor arranges this.

Dennis Forrest

8:38 AM, 25th August 2021, About 3 years ago

property sales usually take at least 3 months to go through. You will not need it as soon as your property goes on the market. It will probably be a least 6 weeks after a sale is agreed before the buyers solicitor needs to see the benchmark certificate.

Graham Bowcock

9:23 AM, 25th August 2021, About 3 years ago

It sounds like the issue is nothing to go with the landlords' gas safety certificate, but the certiifcate required for building regs in respect of a new boiler installation. This will be required for the sale.
In my experience (2/3 new boilers a year) they do come at some point, but it may be a few weeks. Just chase the contractor to make sure he has to provide it (legally) and that you need it urgently. It should come before the legals are completed.

Tim Rogers

12:29 PM, 25th August 2021, About 3 years ago

In defence of your plumber, Glow Worm are appalling at the paperwork side of things. However the plumber is the one best positioned to get it sorted out.
Recently had to sell a property as executor and spend nearly 3 months prior trying to get the extended Guarantee/Warranty sorted out and transferable.
Glow Worm had registered the extension but not the original guarantee. Fortunately the guy who fitted the new boiler back in 2018 was happy to chase it all through again.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now