As a Landlord in the General Election I intend to vote for:

by Property 118

14:07 PM, 4th November 2019
About 11 months ago

As a Landlord in the General Election I intend to vote for:

As a Landlord in the General Election I intend to vote for:

With an impending General Election and none of the established political parties vying for the Landlord vote, will it be a case of holding your nose and supporting the least worst option?

As a snap shot for the PRS please be our guest in completing our polls below for who you would consider now and who you voted for in the last election.

If you would like to, please also let us know in the comments section below your reason for intending to cast that vote, and why you have changed your mind from 2017 if indeed you have.

Comments

Kulasmiley

8:35 AM, 5th November 2019
About 11 months ago

I will vote Labour so that Conservatives and it’s Brexit Party don’t fully privatise our NHS. There would be less money to go around for tenants to afford the raised rents due to Section 24. Our NHS is my main concern, not my portfolio and trying to hold on to money as it brings stress. Get rid of the properties and go live on a beach 🏝

Kulasmiley

8:36 AM, 5th November 2019
About 11 months ago

AlanR

8:53 AM, 5th November 2019
About 11 months ago

I live in NE England and voted Leave. I have always voted Conservative and, although I am very disappointed in their attitude to PRS landlords, I will still vote the same.
Apart from Newcastle, in 2016 all other areas of the NE voted in favour of Leave. As most people know, up here people predominantly vote Labour. It will be very interesting to see what happens at this GE. Some will of course be very angry with the Corbyn stance on Brexit and will vote for the Brexit Party. The idea of a Corbyn government scares a lot of people but will it result in more NE Conservative votes..?

Dennis Leverett

9:02 AM, 5th November 2019
About 11 months ago

I'm voting conservative as there is no real alternative for us. If Bojo and farage had agreed a plan I would have voted Brexit as a protest as our tory seat is quite safe,haha. I feel sure it will be another hung parliament but with Brexit party I hope. I dread the thought of labour or lib Dems getting in or holding balance of power, probably move abroad and retire if they do. I do have a little faith in Bojo if he gets a majority but it needs to be a decent one which is unlikely. I feel a no deal Brexit is best option which won't be as bad as the doomsayers' predict, the EU need us as much as we need them but this time on our terms. Whatever anybody says this election is about this terrible Brexit sham but unlikely that much will change. Its time that election promises are made accountable legally to stop all the lies and bullshit that comes out. That's my whinge for the day.

AlanR

9:05 AM, 5th November 2019
About 11 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Kulasmiley at 05/11/2019 - 08:36
And Corbyn will wreck the economy and what will happen to the NHS then? Property prices will crash and property will be hard to sell - even with your tenant discount!!

Dylan Morris

9:09 AM, 5th November 2019
About 11 months ago

I’m confused by the Poll results, apologies if I’m a bit thick but I don’t understand.............how could 8% have voted for the Brexit Party in 2017 when it was only formed in 2019 ?

Michael Holmes

9:13 AM, 5th November 2019
About 11 months ago

All the comments so far have been fairly predictable and generally follow a sensible conclusion in their particular circumstances, so I won’t add to that group. My thoughts are really more general about the country as a whole and where we are going. The fact is we are undergoing a culture war which has reached a sort of crescendo with this Brexit situation. The forces of elitism are pitched against the population at large and the balance of power is very finely set. My thoughts are that we need to sort out this mess decisively now, so voting for the Conservatives is the only real choice in this election.

Dylan Morris

9:25 AM, 5th November 2019
About 11 months ago

My constituency is always Labour but voted 63% to Leave. My first priority is to ensure Corbyn doesn’t get his hands on the keys to No. 10. I feel the best way to do this is to vote Brexit Party as I simply cannot see the Tories winning in my area. So tactical voting to keep Comrade Corbyn out is very different in each constituency, it’s not automatically a Tory vote that will do it. Plus the Conservatives (really the Liberals in disguise) gave us Section 24, 3% Stamp Duty, Removal of Wear and Tear Allowance, Tenant Fees Ban and Treason May vowed she’d remove Section 21 ..... do you really want to reward them for all this ? And they shafted us over Brexit as well.

Chris Harris

10:04 AM, 5th November 2019
About 11 months ago

Copy of email sent yesterday in response to an email inviting me to support the Conservative party . To:Conservative Party Office c.c.The Prime Minister, Andrea Leadsom MP, and Dominic Cummings ( seems to have more influence than any of the others :-))
"Dear Sir
Thank you for your email.
I am in my sixties and have voted conservative all my life. I voted to leave the EU trusting that we would be able to negotiate a sensible mutually beneficial ongoing relationship. The negotiating stance taken by the government was nothing short of inept , conceding much, before agreeing many of the areas essential for the future relationship.
In addition the behaviour of the Government, Parliament and our political parties (of all colours) during the Brexit debate has led me to consider that this country's leaders are incapable of running the UK as an independent nation.
Accordingly I have concluded that remaining in the EU is in our best interests.
As to how I intend to vote I, am conflicted in that I cannot support Labour on economic and philosophical grounds, and the Liberal Democrats appear to have little understanding of matters rural. However the Conservative party have completely lost their way on fiscal prudence, and now attack those that provide for themselves.
A few examples of your party’s attacks on what I would consider your natural supporters:
Private citizens that invest in good homes to rent to tenants, have been substantially disadvantaged by the change in tax arrangements (Section 24) that now treats interest paid as if it is not a business expense. This is perverse, illogical and discriminatory in that limited companies continue to be able to treat interest as the expense it is.
The proposal to remove section 21 of the housing act,(colloquially and incorrectly know as “no fault eviction”) will inhibit landlords from recovering their property without them putting further strain on the already overburdened court system.
Ill thought out legislation that creates offences of a minor clerical nature e.g. failure to provide a gas safety certificate at the start of a tenancy. The offence occurs even if the certificate exists and there is no remedy for this simple clerical timing error that has no impact on anyone. The result of such oversight can result in a landlord not being able to gain possession of their property in the future. Proper scrutiny of the proposed legislation would have provided a remedy to this draconian side effect of a sensible requirement.
Life time allowance limits on private pensions punish those who provide for themselves and have successful investment strategies. If limits are needed it would make far more sense to limit overall contributions rather than punish successful investment results. This is all the more galling given that those that make and apply the rules enjoy gold plated state provided pensions which carry no such limits nor any risk to the pensioner. Again those that are “punished" are those that try to provide for themselves.
All of the above examples have come to pass during the Conservative party's time in office since 2010.
I believe that if a citizen does not take part in elections they forgoe their right to complain about the result, so I will cast my vote for someone, at this time most likely the Liberal Democrats."

Denise G

10:39 AM, 5th November 2019
About 11 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Mark Alexander at 04/11/2019 - 14:17
I wonder why an ex pat gets to vote in the General Election when EU nationals living, working and paying taxes in the UK don't?

1 2 3 12