Anyone housed an Afghan family via an AST?

Anyone housed an Afghan family via an AST?

16:41 PM, 8th August 2022, About 2 years ago 6

Text Size

Hello everyone, Isn’t the language barrier the biggest issue at the end of the day?

I’ve taken a single Ukrainian lady on in a one bed flat who was fleeing from the war (via reference from Council and charity sponsor). Very good English, educated, eager to settle and start work, so not too difficult. There were a few issues getting her set up with utilities etc but now all is well, and she is thriving.

The charity has now come back to me with a family (wife, husband one child and a mother in law) who need to be housed together. I believe they are from Afghanistan. Only the husband speaks a tiny amount of English, no one else does.

How on earth are they supposed to sign an AST? What about support?

There is no way I have the time to get them set up with UC and they won’t have a clue about council tax, how the meters works, how to set up utility accounts.

I’d like to help, but fear shooting myself in the foot.

Is this worth exploring, or is it better to leave it to the government and the mess they created?

Many thanks,


Share This Article


Jane Tomlin

19:07 PM, 8th August 2022, About 2 years ago

Check your insurance - mine was okay with Ukrainians but not Afghans.

Luke P

11:48 AM, 9th August 2022, About 2 years ago

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think your heart has taken lead of your head.

Unless you want grief (even if only administrative/bureaucratic), avoid the unusual and/or anything where the Government has involvement.

We pay our taxes (and lots of it too) and it was the Government that made the decision to allow these people unfettered access...let it now be their problem, because as sure as eggs is eggs, there will be little or no help for you should things go awry.

LordOf TheManor

12:43 PM, 9th August 2022, About 2 years ago

Hi Jennifer
Without a support package from the council, this non-English speaking family would be a guaranteed nightmare for you!

I have housed many non-English speaking eastern Europeans in my time. All have had an English speaker friend to help them & it's worked fine every time - no issues at all.

I wouldn't have taken any of them without full support in place.

I think you know what my advice is!

Nat Patel

16:18 PM, 9th August 2022, About 2 years ago

Hi Jennifer,
Sorry to say don't believe in charity and council and even some estate agents too. I had enough of them. we have lost over £50k rent and courts fees to evict them after stopped Housing benefits and UC and council gave a deposit and asked back in full and threatened me to take to the court for deposit. I gave up and paid the deposit back to the council before getting any criminal record stick.
God knows how many foreigners live in one-bed flats or 3-bedroom houses. They all sub-letsand send cash to their country. utilities bulls runs in thousands and not paid and company force landlords to pay too.
Even an agency can't do much about that. when the council find out you don't have HMO licence they fine without any mercey.
We have a double-figure property in the North london area and manage ourselves.
For renting listen to understand the brain, not HART.
Regards, Nat

Reluctant Landlord

10:41 AM, 12th August 2022, About 2 years ago

its a no from me too - stay away where government involved. They tend to dump and run....

Mick Roberts

11:06 AM, 13th August 2022, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by DSR at 12/08/2022 - 10:41
Well said DSR. Same with Nottingham Council too. We will be there forever for u Mick, we know she can't use the phone but we are there for u.
That was 1997.
They now tell me the 68 year old Special needs tenant needs to ring them.

The video is here of my tenant telling the Council she can't use the phone.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now