Windows smashed and tenant abandoned property?

Windows smashed and tenant abandoned property?

8:44 AM, 2nd April 2020, About 2 years ago 4

Text Size

I let a property to a couple about 5 months ago on a 12 month AST in February the couple split up and the man left,only to return weeks later and smash most of the downstairs windows.

The police got involved and advised she seek alternative housing until he’d been arrested, which he was and then released on bail.

She kept me informed and assured me she wanted to keep the house and offered to speak to the agent to have her deposit released to help pay towards the repairs. That was the last I heard from her and I get no response from calls or texts though I haven’t called now for a few weeks. Given the situation at present, I can’t get the windows fixed and shes now stopped paying rent.

Her furniture is still in the house and I don’t know where shes now staying.

Can anyone help please?



Neil Patterson View Profile

8:49 AM, 2nd April 2020, About 2 years ago

Hi Sheridan,

The property needs securing quickly and this is obviously a sensitive situation and could become complex legally very quickly.

I would recommend contacting the professionals such as Paul Shamplina's team at Landlord Action asap >>

Rob Crawford

8:59 AM, 2nd April 2020, About 2 years ago

If smaller personal possession are gone, I would assume abandonment, you may have to put into storage any possessions left. As per Neil's advice, secure the property some self employed are still working and it is essential that you secure the property. Consider chip board as a quick fix temp replacement until you can get a glazer to secure the windows. Change the locks. Then sack the agent for falling for the oldest trick in the book, seek compensation. Place abandonment notices on the door. Seek legal advice on abandonment law as this is complex.


10:06 AM, 2nd April 2020, About 2 years ago

I had a tenant abandon and leave furniture which I put in storage - in the back garden! They never came back for it!

Penny DJ

11:24 AM, 2nd April 2020, About 2 years ago

Yes this sounds like abandonment, so you need to re-take possession of the property in order to secure it. Speak to your insurance company and see if they will cover the repairs and also speak to the police. It is likely that she has dropped any charges against her partner, however you are the victim for the damage. Confirm to the police that you still wish to prosecute for the damage and make a statement. This can either be added to any prosecution that is on-going or taken on its own. It is easiest to do this while he is still on bail - likely 4 weeks, but they can re-arrest him on further evidence if needs be. Failing that, your insurance company would enquire directly with the police to release his details and they would then sue him privately for the money paid to you (assuming your policy covered the damage in the first place).

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now