Tenant damage – repairs via instalments?

Tenant damage – repairs via instalments?

15:47 PM, 6th February 2023, About A year ago 15

Text Size

Hello, My tenant has damaged the panel heater in a bedroom and it is now beyond repair. The quote is just under £700 to fully replace and fit and dispose of the old one.

He has in the past been slow to pay for the call out charge when a contractor was pre-booked (twice) and he failed to be in despite agreeing to the date and time so I know its like getting blood from a stone already.

He has confirmed he can’t get a budgeting loan from DWP (I suggested he apply for one – assume he can’t get one as already got one?) but has offered to pay in ‘reasonable’ installments.

I am loath to get the work booked in and completed until he forwards either all or a substantial amount towards this, given the lack of rush to pay the £48 call charge o/s from last October and only paid in Jan.

I have a feeling if I get the heater replaced there is little incentive for him to pay anything after that. (NB the deposit is only £730)

Any advice as not had this issue before.


Share This Article


John Grefe

10:43 AM, 7th February 2023, About A year ago

Assuming he doesn't live in Scotland and has a Shorthold Tenancy Agreement, serve him notice!
Don't waste your time with unhelpful tenants, there's enough problems?

Nikki Palmer

11:09 AM, 7th February 2023, About A year ago

Perhaps suggest to your tenant that he may be able to claim off his Tenant's Contents Insurance that covers accidental damage to Landlord's fixtures and fittings?

Helen Smitj

11:20 AM, 7th February 2023, About A year ago

If your tenant seeks advice it’s very likely they’ll be told not to pay the whole amount as ‘wear n tear’ and age of the heater will be taken into account. I’d probably look to put a cheaper heater in the room and increase the rent. And, as suggested in an earlier comment assess whether this is the right tenant for your property.


11:30 AM, 7th February 2023, About A year ago

Just to re-focus this a little:
The heater replacement cost seems excessive, and "disposal" cost is zero, as it's scrap metal with a small value.
Even if you are referring to central heating, including draining the system, this shouldn't be more than say £450, and £250 at most if an electric panel heater.
Regarding call outs etc, we would usually absorb some of that, even if caused by the tenant (but were good payers)so in a sense you are fortunate that you have a tenant who has been willing to pay anything.
Perhaps split a much cheaper quotation in half, so it costs both of you a much reduced amount.


11:37 AM, 7th February 2023, About A year ago

It is possible to get blood from a stone https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33067582 but best to get rid of the problem by evicting the tenant.


12:14 PM, 7th February 2023, About A year ago

Youre being ripped off with that quote.

Judith Wordsworth

12:29 PM, 7th February 2023, About A year ago

Put a PAT tested portable oil filled or electric heater in the bedroom.

LL Minion

12:48 PM, 7th February 2023, About A year ago

cheers al. Property not in scotland. benefit tenant so no insurance for him to claim off.
The existing heater is a storage heater fixed into the main socket - not just a less costly plug in panel heater. Its only about 2-3 years old. The control pad has been pulled apart and in bits but rest of heater ok (hes never reported an issue with it not working or anything even at earlier checks).
I would charge him and just replace the controls if viable (its not).

Maybe best to replacing with a plug in panel heater that will be fixed to the wall as its not a main living room or even main bedroom. Quote for £300 for a new one and fitting and includes taking away heavy storage heater and stones. I thought that was reasonable. Told tenant he will have to pay it as damage not my fault. He's offered to pay 200 in March and rest in April. Once he's paid the £200 I;ll get it booked in. In the interim he can buy a portable heater himself if he needs it. If I buy it I have to PAT test and then if that's trashed??
I think he realises hes on thin ice - if I evict him council wont want to know as he's caused the damage himself. Hes generally ok so a case of the devil you know for the moment.


13:33 PM, 7th February 2023, About A year ago

Reply to the comment left by Judith Wordsworth at 07/02/2023 - 12:29
Exactly what I'd do. If they've damaged a panel heater (how ?) they are capable of doing it again so do as Judith suggested. They're not expensive but very good .

David Ellis

19:02 PM, 8th February 2023, About A year ago

I had a tiresome benefits tenant who created every problem under the sun. In order to get any rent from her Lical Housing Allowance, I asked that the LHA be paid direct. I order to receive the LHA, the local authority required me to become the tenants guarantor, ie, if she falsely claimed and failed to repay LHA, thenvI was on the hook. This was a tenant with no stake in the relationship and the property was treated with at best casual indifference and on occasions downright criminal damage. Only the presence of 3 young children prevented me from evicting them. The lesson I learned is that it is unwise to rent to someone who has no personal stake- it is unlikely they will respect the property snd won't have either the will or resources to put good damages.

1 2

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now