Student issues with smoking all kinds of stuff?

Student issues with smoking all kinds of stuff?

11:19 AM, 25th April 2016, About 8 years ago 5

Text Size

I am sharing flat with a group of people. One of them has consistently demonstrated aggression and constantly smokes all kinds of stuff indoors, including communal space.smoking

I have complained to the landlord and they claim that something is been done. However this bad behavior has continued.

As we are in a basement flat, I have a very small window that does not let much air in and this means that I am constantly choking on the smell which is not pleasant.

I am so frustrated and I do not know what to do, moreover I am less than 3 weeks away from exams.

Thank you


Share This Article


Neil Patterson

11:21 AM, 25th April 2016, About 8 years ago

Hi Elizabeth,

Is your property registered with the University? Often they are.

You could then speak to the University about your situation and they may be able to assist on your behalf.

When you say all kinds of stuff do you mean anything illegal?

Gary Dully

15:05 PM, 25th April 2016, About 8 years ago


I am a landlord that has to deal with this problem on a regular basis, but usually after other sharers are so exasperated that they just want to leave.

The reason is that they 'turn a blind eye' to the problem as they don't want to appear to be a snitch and tell tale tit.

I usually tell them know in no uncertain terms that they have brought this upon themselves as they have a legal duty to inform the Police or they themselves are in breach of the law.

This is your home, not a drugs den.

Report the matter and get an incident number from the Police.

Pass that number to your landlord and ask them to act in writing.

This menace is going to hurt you, either financially (when your landlord loses their HMO licence, if they have one) or physically when they mistake your concerns as an attempt to take away their chance to smoke weed.

If they are aggressive now, how will you cope when they have a psychotic episode with something like 'Skunk' and attack you with a machete?

I am sick of dealing with this matter, this person is no longer the same person that left home for an education.
That person is now a drug dependent smack head who will end up killing some one for their 'fix'.

Today's weed is too powerful to give up, it will rot their ability to do anything and they won't get employment at the end of it.

I have had properties smashed and robbed by this problem and other housemates will find their belongings in Cash Convertors shop windows to feed the habit.

Report this moron to the Police and help put a stop to this brain rotting scourge.

This tenant will end up destroying your life, if you doubt my word - go and view a few videos and images on programs such as Slum Landlords and Tenants From Hell.

Politicians have absolutely no idea about this stuff circulating nowadays, they think that 'weed' is like the stuff they smoked in the 1960's it has nothing like today's potency and if it's mixed with some of the legal highs in a packet - that's it!, game over, their lives are then messed up forever as they will never get off it.
Skunk is more addictive than cocaine or crystal Meth

10:58 AM, 26th April 2016, About 8 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Neil Patterson" at "25/04/2016 - 11:21":

Thanks Neil, I'll find out.

11:00 AM, 26th April 2016, About 8 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Gary Dully" at "25/04/2016 - 15:05":

Thank you so much Gary

Ethical Man

3:02 AM, 1st May 2016, About 8 years ago

Hi Elizabeth

Sorry to hear that you are in such a difficult situation. I agree that you do need to do something about this - it is bad for your health, particularly your brain, having to inhale that stuff all the time.

If you report them to the police whilst they are smoking then the police will come round. You can invite them in to the communal areas - not sure whether they will need a search warrant for your flatmates rooms if they turn up and there is evidence of a crime (drug smoking) in progress: maybe not.

If the person in question threatens you then again report him to the police and they will take action.

You could go ahead a report them to the police the next time they are smoking it. Or you could say to them if they ever again smoke that stuff in the flat then you will report them to police. That would be their final warning and gives them a last chance - then they know that they only have themselves to blame if you call the police.

Good luck!

Best wishes


Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now