small extractor vent for grade 2 listed in conservation area

small extractor vent for grade 2 listed in conservation area

13:58 PM, 21st March 2016, About 7 years ago 9

Text Size

The property has a bathroom extractor vent feeding into a chimney, NOT a good idea. I am considering running boxed in ducting through an internal wall, through the bedroom to exit at front of building(roughly 13 feet length). vent

Believe me it’s far quicker getting advice from Property118 readers than the Local B.C. So, do you think B.C. would have objections to a small exterior vent plate?

They seem to allow sat dishes on properties in the vicinity.

I would be grateful for experienced opinions.


Share This Article


Adrian Jones

11:39 AM, 22nd March 2016, About 7 years ago

It may be quicker getting advice but it doesn't mean it will be correct. Check with the relevant authorities before starting work (and expense).

Kelly Joanna

12:11 PM, 22nd March 2016, About 7 years ago

They can be very funny with any alterations to the front of Grade II. I think you definitely need to speak to the authority. Do you definitely need the extractor vent? (i.e. is there no window?)

Steven Burman

12:22 PM, 22nd March 2016, About 7 years ago


Have you considered putting a 'liner' down the chimney so that the humid air is carried through the chimney stack to the outside? This may be easier and ultimately cheaper than internal ducting and boxing. You will also avoid upsetting BC and the local conservation officer.


Claire Smith

15:43 PM, 22nd March 2016, About 7 years ago

Have you considered using a dehumidifier? These can be wall hung and plumbed straight into the pipework so that there is no need to empty them. With the existing vent to the chimney, this should do the trick.

Mike W

16:06 PM, 22nd March 2016, About 7 years ago

The only experience I had with this - a kitchen vent- in Scotland with listed building in conservation area was: out front no chance. Accepted rear vent on external wall. But of course you never know. Most inner city buildings are often listed and see what they do there!

Andy Bell

19:31 PM, 22nd March 2016, About 7 years ago

A good CO will take on board you are trying to preserve the fabric and interior of the building by reducing condensation problems. A good CO will advise the best solution, ring and ask, a good CO is easier than BC to talk to... However a bad one can be terrible.

Definitely not a duct up the chimney, humid air will condense and run back down. This can also be a problem with long horizontal runs, keep it pointing down a bit.

Recardo Knights

10:10 AM, 23rd March 2016, About 7 years ago

if the chimney is not used a flexible plastic 4" duct can be fitted to the extractor. If the chimney is in use a steel ducting could be used.

Can't see a problem with this as back boiler in chimneys are vented this way.

Roman Chelsea

15:30 PM, 23rd March 2016, About 7 years ago

Thank you all for your input.. The C.O seems a good helpful chap. I am trying to normalise/legalise other features with his help. Andy. I think your suggestions are probably going to find favour with the CO I might possibly be able to vent to side of building. Even before the previous owner made his " enhancements" I believe the room was used as a bathroom, soooo..... it must have been acceptable, or am I missing the blindingly obvious?

Roman Chelsea

15:35 PM, 23rd March 2016, About 7 years ago

should have said -Side of buildig through intl wall then extl one (a run of about 11ft)

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now