Saga insurance – leaking cistern not covered

11:44 AM, 7th August 2018

Saga insurance – leaking cistern not covered

Saga insurance – leaking cistern not covered

Just be aware folks. I took out landlord home emergency cover with Saga which I was told covered plumbing, and electrical problems on a property I rent out.

I have never used it till now, but tenant reported leaking cistern. So I duly contacted emergency number to be told this is not covered.

Wrong type of leak apparently.

Will not be renewing.

Alan

Comments

V view

18:22 PM, 7th August 2018

I recently obtained quotations from Direct Line for their well advertised landlord insurance. Upon asking what would be covered I was told "everything that wont fall to the floor if the property was turned upsidedown is not covered"
I advised that the kitchens are fully fitted with integrated appliances, and the bathroom suites are fully fitted, only the water would fall out of the toilet should it be turned upsidedown. So therefore no cover for any of these things in the event of fault or breakdown or leakage.
As the old saying goes "Insurance gives peace of mind,,, up until the point you need to claim"!!

MasterG

20:31 PM, 7th August 2018

My rental property buildings insurance has just come up for renewal. Direct Line wanted £156 (was £140 last year). Tried all the comparison websites and some that were not included on those. The only ones that beat it were inclusive of Quidco cashback, which can't be relied upon. A direct quote from Legal and General was £230. Requested quotes through Property118 and Legal and General came out at £112. Bargain.

ahloughlin@gmail.com

20:33 PM, 7th August 2018

Thanks for info

Neil Arnold

7:09 AM, 8th August 2018

Also, be aware that a number of mainstream insurance companies won’t provide buildings & contents cover if tenants are in receipt of benefits.

ahloughlin@gmail.com

7:11 AM, 8th August 2018

No-one on benefits gets anywhere near any of my properties. Learnt that lesson the hard way.

Rob Crawford

12:02 PM, 8th August 2018

Reply to the comment left by Rod at 07/08/2018 - 14:53A friend of mine's house burnt down recently. The fault of the neighbouring tenant who forgot about the cigarette burning downstairs. The fire spread across four properties. As well as the landlords building insurance, the tenants had contents insurance. The insurance in both cases has been a godsend.

David Price

13:15 PM, 8th August 2018

Reply to the comment left by Rob Crawford at 08/08/2018 - 12:02
It is these dire circumstances that insurance is worthwhile, where there is no question as to the loss. But for dripping taps it is best to cover your own insurance.

Scotland to introduce EPC Min Band D