Party wall problems?

Party wall problems?

9:21 AM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago 5

Text Size

Hello, Has anyone had this problem?

We own a bungalow which we rent out, the tenants are very very good. They have told me they have mould on the adjoining wall, they have mentioned before the wall was very cold.

Now the mould is getting worse and they took pictures of the attic which is very bad. The neighbour left the property due to ill health and now lives with her daughter. They have left no heating on, last year it was not too bad as it was warmer.

But my tenant still had some mould, this year with the really cold period the mould is getting really bad.

She has cleaned the area quite a few times, last year they repainted.

But this year it is discolouring the ceiling and walls.

I do not know the daughter’s address. I will put a letter through the door and hopefully someone will visit soon.

I am also going to write to the Council to see if they can advise anything.

What else can I do?


Share This Article


steven property118

12:12 PM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago

Keep good records as you may have to prove that its due to next door. Ask builders to take a look and give advice. other than citizens advice the council is all can think of. not really something for the likes of shelter i dont think. im going to assume all outside walls are insulated and the joining wall is not if no others are problematic.

Chris H

12:33 PM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago

What paint did they use?
Anywhere with cold or high moisture, I use a mould resistant paint for bathrooms and kitchens, I find the one from Wickes (discount for LL who register as trade) is good but others I am sure are as good.
As for cleaning cloths and bleach are ok, but not great, an anti mould spray and kitchen roll works better as you throw away the mould, cloths can spread it, if you do not kill all the mould it simply regrows.

I would think about a dehumidifier in the loft, with pipework to a drain, most can be autodrained from the back.
I say dehumidifier as it is 3 times cheaper to use than heating and directly lowers moisture.
Have you tried buying the title deed, incase the daughter owns the house? it will also list any other interested parties, bank etc.

Hope you get the problem resolved

Seething Landlord

17:58 PM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago

Party wall insulation, which is a common EPC recommendation, might be the answer.


19:22 PM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago


Regarding your loft ( which I trust is a void) you need to ensure it is firstly properly vented and insulated. The dampness in there might be due to condensation problems.

Has your moisture levels increased by reason of a roofing defect?


19:33 PM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago

Now might be a good time to put in an offer to buy your neighbour's property and then rent it out.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now