Issue of electrical installation certificate + part P notification

Issue of electrical installation certificate + part P notification

10:31 AM, 21st October 2014, About 10 years ago 6

Text Size

I’ve had a lot of problems with my electrician who was refusing to provide an invoice for the entire work ( labour + materials). I paid a deposit of £400, which he used to buy all the materials (smoke alarms, fuse box etc), which he never wanted to invoice for.

Because I refused to pay him until he provided an itemised list of materials purchased on my behalf, he called me untrustworthy and refused to forward the certificates until he receives a full payment. He has since provided me with two invoices – one for the labour cost and one (detailed ) for materials. The second invoice is not correct I will query it.

What is my legal position?

Do I pay the first invoice now and request that he forwards the certificates?

Is he obliged to forward them to me before the full payment?Issue of electrical installation certificate + part P notification

How do I know if he is even registered? I did ask but did not check (he was recommended).

Also he disregarded my measurements for an electric shower cable (they are expensive), took his own and overestimated by 4 metres and is charging me for it.

Should I be paying for his error? My measurement was correct.

I would very much appreciate your feedback

Many thanks


Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

10:34 AM, 21st October 2014, About 10 years ago

Learning experiences:-

1) Always satisfy yourself that qualifications are genuine before the event. If needs be check with the certification authority.

2) Get a detailed breakdown of costs before agreeing for work to commence, especially with new contractors

I will leave others who are more qualified to answer you remaining questions. This is because I've not had these problems due to doing the two things listed above BEFORE agreeing to any work being done.

Ian Ringrose

14:25 PM, 21st October 2014, About 10 years ago

Phone up the elections registration body, they have a process to sort out this type of problem.

David Sanderson

17:28 PM, 21st October 2014, About 10 years ago


If NICEIC /ELESCA registered - electricians are obliged to provide certification inclusive in their price.
Suggest you check the contractor's registration at
Part P Scheme- there is sometimes a small charge from the local authority to check & sign off. Contact your Local Authority Building Control to check the installer is on the Competent Persons Scheme.

Chris Amis

20:43 PM, 21st October 2014, About 10 years ago

You can get the certificate if notified but it can take a while, you can however check the installer is competent here (the search is a bit simplistic, you might have to look for a contractor at their address to find them).

Onehouse Landlord

22:39 PM, 21st October 2014, About 10 years ago

The NICEIC take a dim view of people claiming to be electricians registered with them, and I presume the other electrical bodies do, too, so I suggest you could check with them.
It's not unheard of for certificates to be forwarded once payment is received- even a genuine trader may feel uncertain about some payments.
Your "electric shower cable" reference had me thinking. The type of cable used depends on various factors including distance and the kw of the shower, however even though cable prices fluctuate with the price of copper, I wouldn't class an extra 4m as particularly expensive. If it is of the "twin & earth" or "6242YH" variety, sized at what is called "6mm" or "10mm" ( doesn't look that size from the outside), I would expect to see between £1.50 and £3.50 per metre on the invoice.
Remember that the electrician would need a bit of leeway in the cable length to enable him to handle it when making connections and turning corners.
What does look a little odd is providing separate invoices for labour and materials, and (if he is) buying cable of this type in 1-job lengths instead of a 50m reel.
I'm not an electrician.

Neil Robb

19:58 PM, 25th October 2014, About 10 years ago


Most trades people are honest and do a great job.

Were you satisfied with the work he did.

Did you get a price at the beginning before work began and is this what he is charging you.

Simply meet him ask him to have certificates with him and you have his payment everyone leaves happy.

You have to allow for wastage also his time for getting the materials fuel insurance. Some trade people give you a lower labour cost knowing they can mark up the materials a bit.

If you where concerned why did you not ask for a list of items required and source them yourself then you would know exactly what was required and the cost.

Not knowing the work required and amount billed you can not say it was unreasonable or not.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now