Is the listed flat too small?

9:59 AM, 27th April 2021
About 2 weeks ago

Is the listed flat too small?

Is the listed flat too small?

I am looking at purchasing a Grade 2 listed property that has already been converted into flats. The ground floor flat is small (22 sq m) BUT does have access to a private courtyard, a separate shower room and a separate bedroom.

1. As it is not a new build where 37 sqm is the min standard, can I still rent this out?

2. I understand that external space can be added to the total floorspace, but how much?

Is there a min standard of space for a flat when it comes to quirky Grade 2 listed properties? I cannot extend the space in any way.

Any Advice Anyone?

Reluctant Landlord

Comments

DSR

11:10 AM, 2nd May 2021
About A week ago

Reply to the comment left by Dancinglandlord at 02/05/2021 - 09:25
They wont give me any detail unless I own it first!

DSR

11:10 AM, 2nd May 2021
About A week ago

They wont give me any detail unless I own it first!

David

19:13 PM, 2nd May 2021
About A week ago

The room sizes quoted by Neil in the first reply are not just enforceable for HMOs, they are part of the space standards in the Housing Act 1985 Part X. These standards do allow mitigation if the property has sufficient other, (non bedroom) space available to the tenants. You might want to take advice on the specific layout. If for example there is a separated lounge that is larger than the 10.22sqm requirement, then its unlikely to be a problem as the tenants could legally sleep there. If not and the flat becomes legally over-crowded then the Council could take action under HHSRS if they become aware.

Richard P

15:34 PM, 4th May 2021
About 5 days ago

Reply to the comment left by David at 02/05/2021 - 19:13The council granted planning permission for mine in 1999 , 4 self contained studios all under 37 sq meter, they now charge council tax on each one
I hope they are returning my building costs if they not happy with the size and maybe the council tax for 22 years
They are very well fitted compact, but I know many people prefer to sharing a house, as they like their privacy

Joe Robertson

15:58 PM, 4th May 2021
About 5 days ago

This would be entirely legal to let yes!

However ask yourself...Why wont lenders touch it? As a business/income stream it might not be viable.

A listed building sounds attractive and may get tenants attention but after 6 months of living in the property with limited cupboard/storage/sitting/enjoyment space my guess is they will move out. The tenant turn around will be horrendous and costly.

The exception to the rule might be London where space/living conditions seem to be lower.

Richard P

16:06 PM, 4th May 2021
About 5 days ago

Reply to the comment left by Joe Robertson at 04/05/2021 - 15:58
Hi

Yes mine are in central London and are in big demand , a few lenders will lend, but they would most likely sell to a cash buyer , average tenancy 6 months to 3 years

They have everything they need , cooker, microwave, washer/dryer/ good size shower room toilet, wardrobe, drawers under beds , I think our layout was good, they do not feel cramped but I agree they lack space for anything to long term

They rent so quick its amazing

DSR

13:24 PM, 8th May 2021
About 2 days ago

Reply to the comment left by Joe Robertson at 04/05/2021 - 15:58
Property not in London, but with a smaller place comes smaller bills etc so attractive to those especially on benefits who simply cant afford any top ups to anything above the LHA. Plus its in an area where there are very few ground floor flats right in the heart of the town.

Removing Sister from a joint ownership property?