Is the insurance valid?

Is the insurance valid?

10:44 AM, 9th March 2021, About 6 months ago 13

Text Size

I own a first-floor leasehold flat in a converted detached building containing 2 x 2-bed s/c flats. The freeholder owns and lets the ground floor flat and is responsible for the Buildings Insurance for which I am obliged to pay 50%

For the past 20 years, I have had issues with the Insurance (the first 13 years the building was insured as a 4 bedroom detached house) – The building was originally built as a shop with accommodation on the first floor.

Other than the freeholders own assurances that the Building is correctly Insured, the policies I have been able to see do not mention Freehold/Landlord Insurance

Can anyone tell me if there is a specific type of Insurance the freeholder should provide as I am concerned that the policy has not been valid?

The policy appears to be a standard domestic residential policy.

Many thanks

Terri

Comments

by Freda Blogs

10:36 AM, 10th March 2021, About 6 months ago

In addition to trying to rectify the situation using the advice above, a quick and perhaps interim fix to provide peace of mind for you could be to take out contingency insurance. I did this in a similar scenario at the suggestion of my solicitor.

Mine was organised through Countrywide Legal Indemnities via the solicitor. I don’t know if you can go direct or need to go through an intermediary. Good luck.

by Blodwyn

12:12 PM, 10th March 2021, About 6 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Terri at 09/03/2021 - 14:00
Is this one of the unforeseen consequences of the Data [Obstruction] Act?

by Badger

14:15 PM, 13th March 2021, About 6 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Lindsay Keith at 10/03/2021 - 12:12
There is so much ignorance about this act it drives me insane.

Every man and his dog seems to use it as a blanket excuse for being as unhelpful as they possibly can be.