Inherited tenant refusing to correspond?

Inherited tenant refusing to correspond?

by Readers Question

Guest Author

11:11 AM, 12th April 2022, About 2 years ago 22

Text Size

I purchased a property 6 weeks ago with a tenant in place on a 12 month AST. The previous landlord said he was a good payer and up to date with all the rent.

I have tried everything possible to get in touch with him via telephone, text, letter and visits to request payment of rent but he will not reply or answer.

Other than giving him his notice in 2 weeks once his 2 months are up and then the subsequent eviction process does anyone have any other ideas?

Many thanks in advance.


Share This Article



17:04 PM, 12th April 2022, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by NewYorkie at 12/04/2022 - 14:33
Message me with the details and I may take it off your hands.


17:06 PM, 12th April 2022, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Nikki Palmer at 12/04/2022 - 12:09
I have a strong feeling he has lied to me regards being paid the rent!!

Chris @ Possession Friend

17:38 PM, 12th April 2022, About 2 years ago

I'm assuming ( which is sometimes dangerous ) that a Sec 3 LTA 1985 Change of landlord notice been served on the tenant ?


18:18 PM, 12th April 2022, About 2 years ago

I’ve bought 2 tenanted properties from auction.
1) I dropped a note thru the door and promised £20 for a chat. He didn’t accept the money but made me a nice cup of coffee. I bought the flat and all was great.
2) Tenant advertised as paying a v good rent but would not communicate. I still bought it but had to evict them. Basically it was a setup. Selling landlord gets tenant to sign a contract for a high rent so it looks good on paper but on the understanding that he won’t pay and can live rent free till eviction. According to my agent it’s a common scam perpetrated by a certain part of a certain religious community in North London. His words not mine. Still I got the flat back and all was good long term.

stephen flaherty

19:43 PM, 12th April 2022, About 2 years ago

hi ,did you get any evidence of payments i:e bank statements from the last six months ?did you meet the tenants prior to exchange

Reluctant Landlord

7:49 AM, 13th April 2022, About 2 years ago

interesting question....if you buy a property with a sitting tenant AND there is paperwork missing that does not allow you to issue a S21 - what can you do?

I guess you can issue a change of landlord notice to the tenant then suggest a new TA with them? I realise you would have to go through the whole paperwork tick box exercise to then be able to serve a S21 (after the initial period) but what other choices are there???

I've often wondered how new LLs who have bought a sitting tenant go about giving the existing tenant notice if all the docs required for the (supposed easiest route of a S21) are missing/incomplete???

Chris @ Possession Friend

8:12 AM, 13th April 2022, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by DSR at 13/04/2022 - 07:49Purchasers of Tenanted property should be seeking the disclosure and Provision of such prerequisite Prescribed Information Before the purchase is complete and as a condition of such.
Its often the case of the seller is very much aware of the problem he's selling onto the purchaser, who isn't.
Also, It often isn't picked up by solicitors the handle the purchase, ( although it their duty to do so ) because their area of law and expertise is in in conveyancing, not Housing. I've spoken with many Landlords who've 'found' themselves in this position after purchase. -
A complaint to the conveyancing solicitor should be considered, but I don't hold much hope of the efficacy of complaining against solicitors. The SRA are less than useless and do a better job of protecting solicitors than the NRLA do for landlords.

Pete England - PaTMa Property Management

9:58 AM, 13th April 2022, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Belsh at 12/04/2022 - 17:01
I would refer back to your legal advice as you don’t seem to have much to go on. You could always try citizens advice.

Reluctant Landlord

10:26 AM, 13th April 2022, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Chris @ Possession Friend at 13/04/2022 - 08:12
Agree! Had a complaint against a solicitor (actually the solicitor who was defending a tenant (on Legal Aid) over a possession claim I made with the SRA. Went on for over a year - found to be in favour of the solicitor despite them not following pre protocol guidelines before the counterclaim was issued AND the resulting blatant misuse of Legal Aid public monies throughout!

Kevin Fallon

11:12 AM, 13th April 2022, About 2 years ago

You have been ad off, except that and move on, if they have a fresh 12month AST, when you took over, you've been ad off again, 12 months means 12 months, speak to the agents get them to pursue it with a end result of eviction. If there not interested change agents, this is what your paying them for.
Lessons cost money,

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now