How to gift a fire damaged property to Local Authority?

How to gift a fire damaged property to Local Authority?

11:05 AM, 3rd March 2016, About 7 years ago 9

Text Size

Can anyone suggest how I go about gifting a fire damaged North East property to the Local Authority, or to any other source for that matter?

It is uneconomical to rebuild, I suspect even for a builder.

Can the Local Authority refuse to accept it?

Many thanksgift



Neil Patterson

11:07 AM, 3rd March 2016, About 7 years ago

Hi Gary,

If it is a Flat the Block Buildings insurance would need to rectify the fire damage. So I am assuming it is an uninsured house? If it is would not the land have a value?

Chris Byways

12:42 PM, 3rd March 2016, About 7 years ago

Tried local auctioneers? Local builders might want to bank it for when values improve, or rainy day project when they have no jobs on. Especially if services on site.

Tried any adjoining property, they might find it economical to extend into it? Or use for garden area.

Investigated any grants for removing a blight?

What housing crises?

Why would the LA take it on, they might say It's a liability, we want funds to take it on.

Difficult for most people to envisage an area so blighted a house can not be rebuilt for say £50k to rent for say £300+ pm. And no vat on a new build. No SDLT.

Louise Rowland

20:33 PM, 3rd March 2016, About 7 years ago

You can gift it to a charity after you have checked with them to see if they will accept the gift.

Regarding demolishing and rebuilding has anybody done this themselves?
After checking several websites I have estimates of 90 to 120 to build a 3 bedroom detached house. Also demolishion costs of 6 to 8 thousand. I would love to know if these costs are realistic.

Chris Byways

22:52 PM, 3rd March 2016, About 7 years ago

Without knowing the area, it is impossible to say if £120+8k would make sense. Web sites are not a reliable guide to building cost for a specific location.

If viable a charity would be delighted if you can afford to do so. You asked about viability, so ask a couple of estate agents to value to proposed 3 bed house in that area. As well as the site as is by auctioneers.

As it could be detached, you can buy off the shelf costed plans from some design and build companies. But do think out of the box for a stunning modern design - if the area would support such a building.

Can you give a streetview link? You might then get a more measured response.

These figures would be needed to persuade the LA or a charity they can make a profit from it!

eagle view

11:05 AM, 5th March 2016, About 7 years ago

Hi Gary,

Let me have full address with the postal code and I might help you

Many Thanks

Gary BTLowner

23:05 PM, 7th March 2016, About 7 years ago

Whats your email Yasin?

Gary BTLowner

18:36 PM, 14th March 2016, About 7 years ago


Chris Byways

8:06 AM, 15th March 2016, About 7 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Gary BTLowner" at "14/03/2016 - 18:36":

I see the problem with rebuilding.,+Stockton-on-Tees,+Middlesbrough,+Stockton-on-Tees+TS2+1SL/@54.5949748,-1.2420278,3a,66.8y,328.64h,77.17t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJsDLuLFjsoTLUG4lAYZQnw!2e0!4m6!1m3!3m2!1s0x487eed667ce4fedd:0x995c75ff841dda82!2sLimetrees+Cl,+Stockton-on-Tees,+Middlesbrough,+Stockton-on-Tees+TS2+1SL!3m1!1s0x487eed6664343f8f:0x7a73c29b750c09be?hl=en-gb

So many boarded up houses on what looks like an attractive estate.

IE no. 44 was £108k in 2004, now £17.5k

So where is this house price inflation?

Why don't some of those on HB get off their backsides, on thier bikes and do these houses up. For a years rent in London they could have thier own house.

eagle view

8:14 AM, 15th March 2016, About 7 years ago

Hi Gary.
Im away now and will contact you early april. I also want know full property address to search land reg and then find out if your just looking to exit the situation

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now