Evicted Tenant – Still using address for Nationalisation

Evicted Tenant – Still using address for Nationalisation

by Readers Question

Guest Author

13:13 PM, 1st July 2015, About 9 years ago 11

Text Size

After a lengthy battle I finally evicted my previous tenant in Aug 2014. Since then the tenants partner is still using the property address for credit and business purposes.home office

He has even applied to the Home Office for Nationalisation using the property address, with his solicitor forwarding correspondence to the property.

As soon as the couple were evicted I made sure that their details were removed form the electoral register. Am I within my rights to write to the Home Office stating clearly that this person no longer lives at this address and according to his partner during the eviction process – has not done so since 2010 (although I know that to be false as he was there when I visited the property up to 2013).

Any help would be appreciated


Share This Article


Neil Patterson

13:18 PM, 1st July 2015, About 9 years ago

Hi Ian,

I would report exactly what you know and what you have been told to the Home Office and also to the Police as potential fraud.

You should not tell any one else as under Money Launder rules this is considered tipping off or worse if you don't tell anyone at all.

Claire Sandbrook

8:58 AM, 2nd July 2015, About 9 years ago

This is exactly the type of situation that needs to be reported - its fraudulent and you are helping the authorities to identify a situation that needs to be tackled.

Chris Houghton

9:04 AM, 2nd July 2015, About 9 years ago

Hi Ian,
When tenants leave a property I take any mail that comes and write "moved away, address unknown" and put it back in the post. This stops most junk mail and gives the problem of finding the person back to the sender.


Ian Cognito

9:46 AM, 2nd July 2015, About 9 years ago

An example of why the 3-mth rule regarding proof of address documentation should be abided by.

Michael Barnes

15:22 PM, 2nd July 2015, About 9 years ago

If you have been opening mail addressed to someone else, then you may be committing an offense.

Your best bet is to return future mail to the sender marked with something like "Unknown at this address"


15:28 PM, 2nd July 2015, About 9 years ago

Hi Michael

I have been returning all mail to sender, (where sender details are provided on back of their envelope), with a statement giving the dates the tenant and her partner left the property. But it is suprising how many senders continue sending further corespondence to this address. I get the impression they may not belive it !!!


10:19 AM, 4th July 2015, About 9 years ago

Hi Ian,

Absolutely wrong for the ex tenant and his partner to still be using your property for his correspondence with the home office. Don't be surprised that even the solicitor too may not even know his or their whereabouts, and from what I smell.....the couple may have even split up since the eviction. Accommodation is a very sensitive issue in the UK and it puts a lot of pressure on relationships, families, marriages etc.

If I were in your shoes I'd inform the solicitor first (since you know the address of the solicitor), wait and see if the letters stop coming to the address. If the letters don't stop coming (which I doubt won't stop) then I'd write back to sender on subsequent ones. I strongly believe the solicitor will do something if you contact their practise.

Calling the home office and reporting details you're not sure about will only complicate your ex tenants situation. You are a landlord, not an immigration officer or police officer and you don't even know what their immigration situation is.

Let's face our business as landlords first and foremost, let's leave our opinions about immigrants and immigration out of our obligation as a landlords. Without immigrants(good ones) many of our investment properties would be empty.
I'm just saying.....

10:20 AM, 4th July 2015, About 9 years ago

The solicitor is the right person to inform of the correspondence situation.

Sunny Rsa

12:44 PM, 4th July 2015, About 9 years ago

I would write a polite letter to the Home Office and inform them of the facts without adding any of my personal opinion on this delicate matter. I did that by email once after my tenants fell into arrears with their rent and they had to be evicted. This so that the Home Office knows the truth whether the applicant is able to support themselves or not which is a legal requirement.

18:59 PM, 4th July 2015, About 9 years ago

@sunny....a legal requirement for what? Legal requirement to be your tenant or legal requierement to live in the UK? You are a landlord, not an immigration officer. What concerns you if for your rent to be paid on time and your property to be occupied by someone who can afford it and who a fundamental human right to provide shelter for him or herself. What the government should do is build more houses for people to live in, rent and invest in.....not turn landlords into immigration officers. It is not my responsibility to check my tenants passport or right to live in the UK.....that should be done at the airports and borders. It's a delicate issue and that's the reason why I'd inform the solicitor about the ex tenants letters coming to my property. My opinion....it's a free world so you have a right to express yours too.

1 2

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now