Equity charge by CSA how to remove?

Equity charge by CSA how to remove?

13:53 PM, 23rd January 2023, About A year ago 1

Text Size

Hello Property118 I need your help. In 2000, an equity charge was placed on my home by the Child Support Agency. The following year my children’s mother died and I took on the care of my children and I went from running a successful business to being supported by benefits, about 10 years later.

The CSA wrote to me saying they were closing the file on my case and were no longer looking to recover any money from me.

Now I am looking to remortgage my former home (it’s now rented out) however, how do I remove this equity charge as the CSA have gone and my conveyancer has written to all departments and has got nowhere.

Can you tell me what I should do, please?

Kind regards,


Share This Article


Susan Robinson

17:55 PM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago

Hi David
Have you contacted the Child Maintenance Service (CMS) ? This replaced the CSA about 10 years ago, but maybe you already tried this route?

The CMS is for all new claims for child maintenance and for parents who used to use the CSA and whose cases have been closed; so I would guess that would include you. You should find contact details if you Google them, but try telephone: 0800 171 2345

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now