Value for money?

Value for money?

14:18 PM, 23rd January 2023, About A year ago 5

Text Size

Hello, I am the owner of a flat in north west London, managed by a managing agent – there’s no residents’ association.

The managing agent fails to respond to emails, has not provided audited financial statements requested many times, does the absolute bare minimum to maintain the property and does not attend to or look into issues when asked to.

How can I change this managing agent and their service and get my value for money?

Or is there an ombudsman I can write to?

Thank you,


Share This Article


steven property118

12:05 PM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago

you have options; get a court appointed manager in place. need to apply to first tier tribunal. buy the freehold (enfranchisement). set up right to manage. check out the lease website for info.
The property ombudsman isnt really worth it as no teeth but can be a nice irritation to the current agents.

Chris H

12:38 PM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago


Who hired the managing agent?
Did you buy the flat with them in place?
As normally I would expect them to ask you to sign a new contract with them?
Do they manage the building and all the flats within?
Do you havea copy of a contract with them?
A bit more information will help to resolve your problem, do not be worried about naming them, it is better if we are all warned.

That said that I am in the North West and manage my own properties.


16:26 PM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago

Like Chris, I am involved in managing my own as I manage a estate where I have some unit...

Please provide more information so we can help you more.

I assume the managing agent is a private business who is managing the whole estate where you are one of the leaseholders. Even if there is not formal Residents Association, by law there must be a Freeholder Entity/Company registered in the Companies House. The managing agent manage according to the Freeholder Terms of the lease for the leaseholders of which you are one of them.. You are entitled to get the information you request about the estate affair according to the Freehold/Leaseholders Act. Check out your documentation, in Companies house or in Land register or instruct a solicitor to write a letter to the managing agent and they must act on it.

Good luck

Freda Blogs

17:08 PM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago

Is the managing agent /company a member of a professional body such as RICS or ARMA?


17:39 PM, 24th January 2023, About A year ago

You bought a lease to s flat and the lease sets out terms and conditions for your right to occupy. Who is identified as the landlord or lessor to whom you are contracted to pay service charge and who enforces the T&Cs (covenants). What is said about landlord covenant with regard to providing accounts and summaries of actual costs. ? Apply to FTT for determination on whether the LL is not performing its obligations in your lease.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now