EICR Inspection carried out by unregistered electrical contractor?

EICR Inspection carried out by unregistered electrical contractor?

13:33 PM, 15th November 2021, About 2 years ago 7

Text Size

I have recently applied for selective licensing as required by the council. After submitting relevant documents, the council have rejected the EICR as the contractor is not registered to carry out inspections, only domestic installation.

I have subsequently managed to verify this too with NICEIC who have asked me to supply them with a copy of EICR with their trademark to warn him not to use it for EICR, only it’s too late now as I’ve paid the contractor for EICRs on 3 properties.

I now have to have the properties inspected again by a registered contractor, as the ones I hold are apparently invalid.

I would like to know if the unregistered contractor has behaved unlawfully and whether I can take any action against him?

He is now ignoring my emails etc.

Any advice would be most welcome, and beware!


Share This Article


Luke P

15:20 PM, 15th November 2021, About 2 years ago

Is there a register we can all check out contractors registration status?

Paul landlord

15:30 PM, 15th November 2021, About 2 years ago

It may surprise you to know that an Inspector does not actually have to be registered to do an EICR.


Under section 5 it reads:-

"The electrical safety industry has established competent person schemes. Membership of these will not be compulsory to ensure there is no further pressure placed on the industry, nor undue burden placed on inspectors and testers.

When commissioning an inspection, in order to establish if a person is qualified and competent landlords can:

check if the inspector is a member of a competent person scheme; or require the inspector to sign a checklist certifying their competence, including their experience, whether they have adequate insurance and hold a qualification covering the current version of the Wiring Regulations and the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations."

However I have never understood the complications the NIC like to throw in (if they are compounding the issue) and it could also be your council doesn't understand the law- commonplace.

The rules around electrics are so messy. It's difficult enough for us sparks to interpret nevermind the layman. If your man holds the relevant portfolio of qualifications and insurance then registration isn't an issue. And if he is registered he may well be wondering why his trade body is denying him Certification rights- I know I would be!

FYI I am a registered electrician with NAPIT, previously also been registered with Stroma and Inspector of 11 years as well as being a portfolio landlord. I state this only to qualify my position to answer your post.

Paul landlord

15:36 PM, 15th November 2021, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Luke P at 15/11/2021 - 15:20
Yes there is but I have found it to contain inaccuracies.


Why not ask your registered sparks to produce his card it should define his scope on it. Alternatively telephone his organisation to check.

After many years in the business it always amazes me that noone has ever asked to see my badge.

Are landlords also so lax when it comes to their gas checks?!?


Mick Roberts

18:12 PM, 15th November 2021, About 2 years ago

I concur with Paul.
We can check on the Gas safe register for our gas plumbers.
However with Electricians, it appears there is no register.
Nottingham Council Selective Licensing couldn't help me either.
My last information surmised that as said above a Competent person to carry out the test. I guess as he long as he don't use them trade body forms above if he's not a member of them. Too may schemes last time I checked.

Bill Cooper

20:35 PM, 15th November 2021, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Luke P at 15/11/2021 - 15:20
Yes there is ask for there membership details and you can check them let me warn you an EICR should at least take 4/5 hours and to be honest if thats not the company that has done the original job there will be lots of limitations as a contractor can't check every accessories or trace all installation methods if they are doing it cheap they aint doing it and you will be responsible agree with the contractor how many limitations there will be but you will get a better job about £180 +vat I would say give or take £50 above where you are in the country anything below will be a crap job (3 bed semi example)

Paul landlord

21:47 PM, 15th November 2021, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Mick Roberts at 15/11/2021 - 18:12
That's exactly right Mick. If you are fully qualified as an inspector but choose not to be registered, then you are perfectly within your rights to do the EICRs. You just can't use a registration body's forms as you say of course but that's no issue. A lot of sparks choose to use a 3rd party software provider anyway. I know I did when I was Stroma- there software was pants in the early days. If you want them for handwritten purposes then they are available from the IETs (Institute for Engineering Technology) for free- just print them off. The IET make the regs along with BSI by the way and any organisation has to follow the 'model forms' as set out by IET.

And as I have said before- all you need to do is call the inspectors trade body if he claims to be part of one and they will confirm whether he is a member or not and the scopes they approved for


15:24 PM, 20th November 2021, About 2 years ago

failure to check applies to gas as well- i never had anyone ask for my registration card. all too trusting! and as you say, can print generic forms from IET, or use the ones that come with some software.
yes, i followed up on some who do these "inspections" on a 3-bed semi in less than an hour. some just guess the resistances; one just checked the new 2-way box in the extension and ignored the china rewireable one in the house, and the council accepted it. better to get a regular electrician you can trust, might cost a bit more on paper but cheaper in the long run.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now