DPS bond contested

DPS bond contested

8:12 AM, 22nd August 2013, About 10 years ago 25

Text Size

I am a new Landlord and the first tenant has left after she couldn’t pay her rent. Her partner left the house a month before and the new tenancy agreement was signed in her name only. DPS bond contested

Some damage had been caused to the property, gas meter changed without consent and was in rent arrears so the bond was requested back via our letting agents.

The tenant contested us having the bond stating that she had to leave because of a violent relationship.

They have offered us £200 out of a £600 bond which doesn’t even cover the rent arrears.

We have been told that if we take it to the adjudication panel we will not win and will loose the full £600.

Any advice would be much appreciated.



Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

10:24 AM, 23rd August 2013, About 10 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "chris young" at "23/08/2013 - 10:15":

Still something seems strange here.

Either she was £575 in arrears or she wasn't, it should be black and white, i.e. very easy to prove.

I can't understand why your letting agent isn't helping you more. His credibility is on the line here too!

16:00 PM, 24th August 2013, About 10 years ago

Late in the day to offer this but I have been told by a much more experienced landlord's agent than most readers to ditch the expensive deposit schemes and get verified guarantors. Make sure Dad or whoever is worth powder and shot and sign him up. Tenant may be far more frightened of the thought her dad must pay up than thumbing her nose at you and the County Court!

Regret on what I have seen from your short heartfelt wail and from learned contributors like Mary Latham, learn from experience and move on. Good luck!

Jay James

16:14 PM, 24th August 2013, About 10 years ago

another person that claims violence without evidence, to get their own way.
another tenant that lies to get money.

an absolutely ridiculous situation.


19:41 PM, 24th August 2013, About 10 years ago

If she remained in the property after the partner moved out, how can she say that she "had to leave because of a violent relationship"?

I don't think your permission is needed to change the gas meter as the tenant is the account holder. This link answers some questions:


Jay James

20:06 PM, 24th August 2013, About 10 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Puzzler " at "24/08/2013 - 19:41":

Link provided implies that where the LL does not produce a signed tenancy, that he may be charged for a tenants outstanding bill.

Do readers interpret info on this link the same way?

This seems rather harsh as it implies the charge (to the LL) can take place even where the utility company has been accepting payments from the tenant.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now