Disability Access Question for Residential Landlords

Disability Access Question for Residential Landlords

12:25 PM, 9th April 2013, About 11 years ago 2

Text Size

Disablity Access Question for LandlordsMy letting agent has found a tenant for us, a mother who is a carer for her disabled child.

They have been living in a council flat, now they need a house.

She is receiving housing benefit.

My question is would I be legally responsible should there be any adaptations required to be made to the house.



Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

12:52 PM, 9th April 2013, About 11 years ago

Hi Flo

I have a tenant who's wife had a stroke, they needed to make some adaptations to the property or find another one. The adaptations were grant assisted and involved building an extension onto the property to create a downstairs bathroom. They needed my permission to obtain the grant and to do the works. Obviously I agreed as the extension added value to my house. I was shocked as theoretically I could have served notice as soon as the work was done and took the profit. I'm not that kind of person but I was surprised that it would have been possible. Therefore, in answer to your question, I do not believe that residential landlords can be made responsible for adapting a property for disabilities. If we were, we could obviously serve notice on the tenants anyway. That could open up the flood gates for discrimination though so I hope that can of worms will never get opened!

6:57 AM, 12th April 2013, About 11 years ago

I'm no expert, but logically speaking, if you want to make a coffee you don't start with a tea bag.
In other words, your prospective tenant may have selected an unsuitable property for her needs. In which case, you should point this out to her.
The ' I Want That One ' was a comedy sketch. Not a blueprint for reallity.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now