Damp – a tenants guide to preventing and treating itMake Text Bigger
Green, orange, black…… The wonderful colours of mould that you may spot in your house!
Damp can be a major problem in student houses. It can cause mould on the walls and furniture, and make timber window frames rot. It encourages mites and can increase the risk of respiratory illness and quite frankly, it is yuk!
Damp in student houses is usually caused by excessive condensation which is purely down to the amount of moisture in the air. With at least four adults in the house showering every day, plus cooking and the big no no of drying clothes in the house, the moisture level in the air increases so much that it can’t all escape, causing damp and mould.
Rooms: The first signs are usually around windows, where black mould will appear.
In addition to this, it will form in the silicone sealant around the bath, shower, and sinks. It may spread to the walls and the ceiling in the bathroom.
You may also spot an orangey mould too which is easily wipeable.
If your furniture is against an exterior wall to the property, mould may also form behind here to it can spread to your clothes and your shoes.
Appliances: Mould will also form in the washing machine powder drawer and inside the machine. This is usually black.
If food is left in the fridge then it will form here too and this can spread.
As tenants you have a responsibility to keep the property in a good state of repair, and take steps to ensure it does not become a problem.
- When showering and bathing, ensure you ventilate the room afterwards by opening the window and using extractor fans where provided.
- In the kitchen, use the cooker hood and ventilation where provided and open windows to allow moisture to escape.
- In the morning, if condensation is spotted on the window, wipe it down with kitchen roll or a cloth.
- Don’t keep opened food in the fridge or cupboards past it’s sell by date.
- Do not dry clothes on the radiators in the house. This is usually the biggest cause of mould problems.
If you start to see the first signs of black mould, it can be cleaned away easily using a bleach solution or specific mould spray. Make sure the cloth used is disposed of afterwards to avoid further contamination.
The longer the mould is left the worse it will get.
If you are concerned at all and the mould is spreading, you may want to contact your landlord or letting agent to take a look.
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.