Can I use ex-tenant’s parent address to serve court papers?

by Readers Question

8:33 AM, 1st March 2020
About 6 months ago

Can I use ex-tenant’s parent address to serve court papers?

Make Text Bigger
Can I use ex-tenant’s parent address to serve court papers?

As I have written in one of my previous posts one of my tenants left owing £960 in rent arrears.

On his last day he said that his father will pay the money owed, but once contacted his father answered that it is not any of his business.

The father is self employed and his son (my ex-tenant) works for him as well. By doing a search on the Google I found his parent’s address.

Can someone please advise me if I can legally serve the court papers on his parents address?

Many Thanks for any help.



Rob Crawford

14:58 PM, 1st March 2020
About 6 months ago

Did the former tenant provide you with a forwarding address when he left? If you know where the former tenant now resides, the debt letter should be served at that address. If not known, a tracing agent can be employed to find him.

Ian Narbeth

9:36 AM, 2nd March 2020
About 5 months ago

Short answer: No.
Unless the tenancy provides that notices can be served at his parents' address or unless you obtain a court order to that effect, serving notice there will not count.
You should obtain legal advice about alternative methods of service.

John Mac

9:23 AM, 5th March 2020
About 5 months ago

Why not serve at last know address ( your rental property ).

___ baldelectrician

11:45 AM, 5th March 2020
About 5 months ago

In Scotland you can serve by advertisement- in the paper and in the notice board at court.


14:23 PM, 5th March 2020
About 5 months ago

in a similar vein...if I have court permission to serve at tenants last known address (address after they left my rental property) AND her parents address (as detailed on tenants driving licence) BUT both sets of papers come back with ' have moved' on them both to me and the Court - are they classed as served nonetheless?
I'm due in court about this case soon as know full well tenant wont turn up, so am looking for final agreement from court as to what she owes and why. Then will I get permission to chase the debt?

Bill Williams

11:06 AM, 7th March 2020
About 5 months ago

I had a tenant who did a runner during the 1st 6 months of the tenancy. We agreed he could leave, but pay rent up to when a new tenant was in place, but he ran anyway. We found his parents address and served there, the parents contacted him, he contacted my solicitor, so we proceeded to court. Case won with costs. Ex tenant paid by instalments for 4 years.

Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?



SAL dismayed by Nicola Sturgeons eviction ban announcement

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More