14:41 PM, 26th June 2019, About 3 years ago 17
I am currently a private tenant, renting via a lettings agency, with my partner. We’re coming to the end of our contract (13th July) and have a couple of questions on our ‘rights’ and what’s acceptable.
Over the last few weeks there have been lots of viewings arranged by the agent. Monday to Saturday, often 4-5 viewings a day, between 9am-7pm. We generally have no problem with this of course and understand that the landlord wants another tenant lined up ready to move in when we move out, and we go to quite some effort to make sure the property is as presentable as possible – to the point that every evening and every morning before work we’re doing a clean/tidy to make sure as far as possible that there’s nothing of our doing that puts prospective tenants off.
However, do we have the right to refuse certain viewings if it isn’t convenient?
We both work during the day, and know most people viewing the property will too. Me and my partner both work 8am-4pm, arriving home at about 5pm and then settling down for our evening meal/showers/recreation etc. We really don’t want viewings at 6pm onwards, can we refuse these? Or at least ask the agent to only arrange evening viewings perhaps one evening a week?
My second question is that the property has been advertised for several weeks, and we have seen the advert and noticed the pictures are quite out of date – almost misleading – being dated years before we moved in 2 years ago. The agent informed that they would be attending the property tomorrow for an ‘inspection’ and to take up to date photographs and ask that we make the property presentable.
I have postponed this at the moment, as
1) I don’t want our possessions being photographed (it is a furnished property but we do have some pieces of our own furniture and all of our possessions on display).
2) we can’t make the property presentable enough for pictures as we’re preparing to move out so things are in chaos with packing etc.
3) The agent inspected the property only 5 weeks ago, and there is another inspection when we hand over our keys and go through the check-out on 13th July – I just don’t think another ‘inspection’ is justifiable, when their agents are in and out of the property almost every day conducting viewings.
So in summary.
1) can we refuse some viewings even if they give us 24+ hrs notice
2) can we stipulate only certain evenings are free for late viewings
3) can we refuse photographs being taken of the flat whilst our possessions are in situe
4) can the agents come into the property during a viewing which we’ve given permission for, but then take pictures even though we have told them we do not want them being taken whilst our possessions are in the property.
5) can we refuse access for an inspection based on us believing it’s unreasonable to have 3 inspections within a 7 week period
I’d really appreciated any advice or feedback on this. I know agents and landlords often struggle with these things and we really don’t want to be difficult, but at the same time we are still paying for the property and want it to feel like ‘home’ as much as possible, and I’ve seen quite a bit written about ‘quiet enjoyment’. I just can’t seem to find anything that sets out any rights or legal bits about what ‘power’ we actually have as tenants.