Buyer’s Solicitor being uncooperative?

by Readers Question

10:10 AM, 20th August 2020
About a month ago

Buyer’s Solicitor being uncooperative?

Make Text Bigger
Buyer’s Solicitor being uncooperative?

We have been trying to sell our property for last 18 months. We have been dealing with this particular buyer for around 9 months. The buyer’s mortgage expires on Friday

Buyer, ourselves and our Solicitors are pushing for an exchange date, but the buyers’ solicitors are unresponsive. Everything is ready and all information has been provided. I appreciate they are busy, but at least communicate.

I am very concerned this deal will not go through due to the buyers’ solicitors as not sure if the buyer will get a third mortgage extension. I am really angry and don’t know what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated

Jim



Comments

Ian Narbeth

11:09 AM, 20th August 2020
About a month ago

Hi Jim
I am a property solicitor but steer clear of most domestic conveyancing.

There is not a lot you can do. Ask your solicitor to email and call the buyers' solicitor. The buyers need to press the solicitor and if necessary go over the head of the person dealing to a partner or senior partner in the firm. It could just be an unresponsive individual or it could be they are over-worked or out of their depth.

paul kaye

11:15 AM, 20th August 2020
About a month ago

this is the buyers problem,however, I would ask your solicitor to make contact with the buyers solicitor and want to know why this has not been done ,as urgent ?
An email from your solicitor should state all losses and costs for the delay will be claimed from the buyers solicitors and they will be reported to the Law society.
Also perhaps your buyer should sack their solicitor for incompetence !
Seeing the buyers solicitor is unresponsive you should issue a letter by hand or send registered post and signed for.
My daughter is a solicitor,she is so busy because,she is so good at her job !
good luck.

Joe Robertson

11:27 AM, 20th August 2020
About a month ago

Imho you have little chance of it being extended by Friday. All parties are dealing with backlogs and it sounds like the buyer is employing delay tactics and isn’t serious about completion. If I were you I would allow this to progress but still have it advertised on the open market. Where is the property? If it’s in the north west I may be interested in a cash purchase. Joseph.robertson1@gmail.com


Leave Comments

Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.

Forgotten your password?

OR

BECOME A MEMBER

First trial date December 2021!

The Landlords Union

Become a Member, it's FREE

Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agents

Learn More