Adding debt to credit report?

Adding debt to credit report?

10:49 AM, 12th April 2022, About 2 years ago 6

Text Size

Hi all, I had a bad tenant who left the property still owing a lot of money in outstanding rent.

Unfortunately, I could not claim from the tenant’s deposit because the DPS sided with her.

She left to go back to Czechoslovakia and I would like to add the debt she left to her credit report.

How can I do this?

Especially as she has now left the country?

Many thanks


Share This Article


Seething Landlord

12:22 PM, 12th April 2022, About 2 years ago

If you were not able to convince the DPS that she owes you money, what makes you think that there is a valid debt outstanding?


13:12 PM, 12th April 2022, About 2 years ago

You would need to get a court judgement that the tenant owes you money. You can't just add a default to the credit report based on your say so.

As she is no longer in the UK, why bother?


14:16 PM, 12th April 2022, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Smartermind at 12/04/2022 - 13:12
Why bother? Because she might come back to the UK and trick another landlord.


23:03 PM, 12th April 2022, About 2 years ago

If the outstanding rent is less than the value of the deposit and the deposit is 5 weeks' rent then you have been lucky. I am just evicting a tenant (bailiffs coming in a month) and they haven't paid for 11 months. The judge decreed that the deposit can be paid back to me immediately but that is small compensation for the £12,000 unpaid rent over the year. If you'd taken them to court then the County Court Judgement would have stopped them from renting from anybody who checked their credit status. It seems they left quite quickly so you didn't have time to get to the court stage. That was a good result, under the circumstances as it has taken me a year to get to this stage.


8:25 AM, 13th April 2022, About 2 years ago

Reply to the comment left by at 12/04/2022 - 23:03
ALWAYS take a debtor to court for the arrears but remember that the aim is to get a CCJ registered as you are unlikely to ever get payment, so take the tenant to court for a small amount which attracts the minimum court fee. A small CCJ screws them up just as much as a large one. Also it is permissible to serve at their last known address especiually as a tenat who has done a runner is technically still in contract.

David Taylor

9:31 AM, 16th April 2022, About 2 years ago

How come Vodaphone and SSE can put bad references on your credit report despite having a clear dispute over their charges without them taking the matter to court ?

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now