What’s the best form of electric heating for rental flat?

What’s the best form of electric heating for rental flat?

9:42 AM, 19th July 2021, About 2 months ago 36

Text Size

With gas heating under pressure from future government green legislation for residential properties, and potential bans for the installation of new gas boilers, is this heating fuel now falling out of favour and not the way forward?

The question is at this early stage what is the best form of electric heating available and is reasonably priced and economical enough to run for a rental property.

Any help or experience with electrical heating advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sati

Comments

by Pete England - PaTMa Property Management

12:14 PM, 24th July 2021, About 2 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Jessie Jones at 24/07/2021 - 11:21
I can't see the EPC being removed but changes in progress for landlords. https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=7cdbb6f2-25c2-46a6-a962-e2ab3b2adf6e

by Christopher Rogal

13:22 PM, 24th July 2021, About 2 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Pete England - PaTMa Property Management at 24/07/2021 - 12:14
This reference seems to be about non-residential property.

by Doug Ellison

18:34 PM, 24th July 2021, About 2 months ago

I’m about to install electric storage heaters (Dimpex quantum)which seem to be the best on the market.I’m with Octopus Go for my electric which gives cheap nightime electric(5p per unit for 4 hours)and 13p daytime-much cheaper overall than economy 7.
Also great for charging the car overnight.
Anyone going to Octopus gan get £50 off by using my email office@dougellison.co.uk
I also get £50 for the referral but that’s not the only reason I’m mentioning this,they’re an excellent totally renewable co who leave the big boys standing.

by Seething Landlord

20:26 PM, 24th July 2021, About 2 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Jessie Jones at 24/07/2021 - 11:21
Where did you get the idea that EPCs are likely to be replaced with something else?

by Jessie Jones

20:30 PM, 24th July 2021, About 2 months ago

Wish I could remember where I read it but I can't. The idea is to shift the focus away from financial impact to one of environmental impact. Sorry I can't be more help, but everything to do with EPC's appears to be in flux anyway.

by Seething Landlord

20:49 PM, 24th July 2021, About 2 months ago

Reply to the comment left by Jessie Jones at 24/07/2021 - 20:30
If I remember correctly the government consultation which ended in January 2021 and to which we are still awaiting their response floated the idea of adding environmental impact as a separate issue in addition to the current EPC requirements. I anticipate that they will probably go ahead with the the proposed changes to the minimum required EPC rating and once that has bedded in environmental impact will be the next stage, all at vast expense to private landlords.

My hope is that they will review and amend the current EPC assessment system which is clearly not fit for purpose, but that would require joined up thinking so don't hold your breath.