Tenant has run up debts in my name

Tenant has run up debts in my name

10:16 AM, 4th May 2014, About 10 years ago 2

Text Size

I am having problems with a tenant that has Dyslexia. His mother is rather protective and wishes she be there to watch the signing but I’m getting nowhere despite several attempts of trying to contact her to arrange a signing!

Excuses such as a new job and a grievance in the family are used. The latest one is being on holiday so can not see me yet. Tenant has run up debts in my name

I returned home after passing on my property to a relative as an agent to look after and to let out. I was unhappy with the situation as soon as i returned. My relative was not happy and withheld the newly signed tenancy agreement which I know is not valid as I have taken back over my flat. I then had problems contacting the tenant that had been living there for six months.

I started to write letters and he finally got in touch. I arranged to see him but all his finances are taken care by his mother. I went to see his mother to ask for the tenancy agreement which she took a picture of for me but refused to let me take away. Now I have a blurry picture which shows his tenancy agreement but not the terms an conditions.

I need to see him to arrange for him to pay debt that was ran up whilst I was away and have just put a new tenancy agreement together that I wish for them to sign with her as the guarantor.

Legally I do not know what I can do.

Please could you advice as I am lost!



Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

10:29 AM, 4th May 2014, About 10 years ago

Hi Nancy

Oh dear, what I mess!

I am sorry to say that I think you are about to learn some lessons and gain some valuable life experiences on how expensive naivety, cutting corners and doing business with inexperienced family members can be.

However, let's start with the tenant having run up bills in your name. If your tenant has committed fraud then you need to report this to the Police. However, and this is purely a hunch, but I suspect the debts are as a result of your unhelpful family member having left all of the utility bills in your name?

If that is the case I also wonder whether the tenant was referenced property, whether the tenants deposit was protected correctly , whether consent from your mortgage lender was sought to let the property, whether your insurance company were notified of the tenancy, whether a gas safety check was done etc. etc. etc.

Before I can comment further I need you to provide further detail in relation to each of these points please.

If you prefer to discuss this matter offline and in confidence then I do offer a Consultancy service, please see >>> http://www.property118.com/consultancy-mark-alexander/61522/

Jonathan Clarke

12:00 PM, 4th May 2014, About 10 years ago

Yes Mark is right - . What a mess. You have got yourself into a right pickle . .... There are too many ifs and buts to give clear advice on the information you have provided here. You need some intensive advice and therapy to sort this out. I`m sure Mark will advise you well so that you can emerge out of the wilderness you are in and begin to see light at the end of the tunnel.

But in short you need to establish better communications with the people involved so a third party professional may do this now more effectively than you and in doing so it will take the negative emotion and stress for you out of the equation
Good Luck

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now