Statutory filing for BTL companies – £100 software required by HMRC?

Statutory filing for BTL companies – £100 software required by HMRC?

9:51 AM, 31st December 2018, About 4 years ago 5

Text Size

I previously bought my BTL properties in my own name. With the allowable interest changes I’ve bought the last couple in a limited company, set up for the purpose, for the obvious tax benefit reasons.

It’s time to file my first statutory accounts/tax computations with Companies House and HMRC. When doing the joint filing you’re asked a series of questions including whether the company had income from property over £5,200. When you say yes, you’re then told you cannot file directly, and are instead directed to a list of approved software providers. It seems you cannot file combined statutory accounts and tax return in one go using the HMRC system (as I do for other “normal” companies I run).

The software seems to cost over £100 and adds a level of complexity and cost that I wasn’t expecting. Has anyone found a way around this? Or is it better using a professional firm? I’m a chartered accountant and familiar with accounts but this is getting seriously hard work!

Any help appreciated.




Neil Patterson

9:54 AM, 31st December 2018, About 4 years ago

Hi Neil,

I am sorry we give everything to our accountants and just sign off the figures so the real nitty gritty is not something we are expert in.

Alistair Cooper

11:02 AM, 31st December 2018, About 4 years ago

I had the same experience Neil . Although I had the pleasure of a fine for late submission on top as there is no mention of this ‘extra 3rd party software’ requirement up until you are almost there with submitting. Companies House does not need any additional software and there is no clear reason why HMRC cannot cope with a property company using their standard platform for submission. I am currently appealing the fine on this basis.....

Martin Thomas

14:50 PM, 1st January 2019, About 4 years ago

I had the same problem Neil. It's a real pain but I came across Forbes accounting software - see link below.
They charge £60 per annum to provide an unlock code that allows the CT600 to be submitted.
All I do is prepare my company's accounts as per usual in Excel, then key in the trial balance figures - I don't use their system to maintain my accounts. I'm a CIPFA accountant so don't use an external accountant.
Hope this is helpful.

Martin Smallpage

22:21 PM, 19th August 2021, About A year ago

Arrrggh in same situation now. Why do HMRC have the £5200 arbitrary seeming limit on property income?! I have bought the software mentioned above but am not getting on well. I have already produced my accounts but it won’t let me just enter my own figures as you describe and forces me through a wizard.

On the CT600 I can’t work out where allowable and non-allowable expenses go for the BTL business. Frustratingly it’s all so clear on my P&L statement but the cumbersome form makes it very confusing. Until the online web service flagged I had over £5200 that seemed straightforward too, but this form….

Kathy Evans

14:35 PM, 26th August 2021, About A year ago

I use Taxcalc for Self assessment return (about £30) but haven't done mine for this year yet, so I hope it still works

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now