Scotland brings in its Short-Term Lets Licensing Order

Scotland brings in its Short-Term Lets Licensing Order

9:09 AM, 29th September 2022, About 2 years ago 5

Text Size

Scotland will be the first country in the UK to officially monitor short term lets by requiring all councils to have an operational licensing system in place.

The Short-Term Lets Licensing Order takes effect on 1 October 2022 and is aimed at ensuring an even playing field within the short term let market.

By licensing short term rental properties, the Scottish Government says it will not only protect existing communities in areas with high visitor numbers but ensure an appropriate number are allocated and provide local authorities with an understanding of activity in a particular area.

Advice on the Scottish Government’s website states that anyone offering short-term lets in Scotland will need to apply for a licence.

Ensure the properties are safe

This is, the site goes on, to ensure the properties are safe and that people providing them have been through all the required checks.

It will also help local councils to understand the needs of their local areas and help with handling complaints.

There are four types of short-term let licence:

  • ‘Home sharing’ means you rent out all or part of your own home while you’re living there
  • ‘Home letting’ means letting all or part of your own home while you’re not there, for example while you are on holiday
  • ‘Secondary letting’ means letting a property where you do not normally live, for example a second home or holiday let
  • ‘Home letting and home sharing’ means you let out all of part of home both while you are living there and at times when you are not there.

Introduction of health and safety as part of the requirements

Propertymark has shown its support for the licensing system with the introduction of health and safety as part of the requirements being put in place.

Brian Moran, Propertymark’s regional executive for Scotland, said: “It is positive to see that the Scottish Government is taking proactive steps to ensure the safety of those renting short term accommodation.

“With Edinburgh in particular faced with an overhaul of short term lets, licensing will now enable the local authority to control the number available within the capital and encourage longer term rentals which are desperately needed in order to compete with growing demand.”

Propertymark is however continuing to call on the Scottish Government to clarify the definition of a short-term let to ensure the system operates as intended.

In its consultations response, Propertymark proposed two amendments to the order that would make clear that a holiday let falls within the scope of the definition of a short-term let and ensure that landlords providing Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) are not subject to duplicate licensing requirements.

Such an amendment to the HMO definition would have the additional benefit of affording contract and transient workers the same health and safety rights as those that reside in a shared rented property full-time.

Share This Article


Reluctant Landlord

10:36 AM, 29th September 2022, About 2 years ago

Bloody hell is there going to be anything to rent at all in Scotland at this rate?

So much pressure and stress on private LL's, I dont blame them all for putting everything they have on the market to sell asap.

Tenants will be moving outside the boarders at this rate and commuting in - or just moving out of Scotland completely.

Or is Queen Krankie offering accommodation???


16:55 PM, 29th September 2022, About 2 years ago

She is the smp for the poorest ,worse run part of Glasgow, Govenhill.
They vote for her because she keeps their benefit cheques safe and regular.
She panders to the popularist agenda. Not whats good for Scotland but whats good for the Scottish nationalist party.

Martin Thomas

10:11 AM, 30th September 2022, About 2 years ago

Are they serious about 'house exchanges?' So you do a house swap with someone for 2 weeks and you are supposed to get a licence? That isn't going to work and is typical of the over controlling nature of Socialists like Sturgeon, Corbyn, Putin. They all want to control your life!


12:00 PM, 30th September 2022, About 2 years ago

What are the required checks?

Jireh Homes

19:23 PM, 1st October 2022, About 2 years ago

Compliance requirements are understood the same as the Private Rented Sector, i.e. EICR, LGSR, PAT, LRA, CO & Fire Alarms, with no distinction if offering bedroom in own home or a complete property, with fees around £700 in some LA areas

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now