Is there a problem seeking possession whilst I am living abroad?

Is there a problem seeking possession whilst I am living abroad?

9:16 AM, 12th July 2017, About 5 years ago 2

Text Size

Is the procedure any different when seeking Possession of Property whilst I am living abroad ?

I have served a section 21 notice on tenants living in one of my properties in the UK. They have been unable to find affordable alternative accommodation. They have approached the Local Council who have not classified them as being in need of accommodation (No real surprise there!) despite the government guide lines to local authorities that a tenant, once served a valid section 21 notice, should be treated as ‘homeless’ within the last 21 days of the notice.

It would seem that the next step is to seek possession of the property through the courts. I have a UK address although most of my time is spent abroad. Would there be a problem with using my non-UK address ?

Many thanks



Neil Patterson View Profile

9:22 AM, 12th July 2017, About 5 years ago

Hi Mike,

I have not heard of your address and residential status being an issue, but I don't think I have run across this exact question before.

We do however, have many articles where council advise tenants not to leave at the end of the notice period, because they say they will not house them if they make themselves intentionally homeless so it may be best to seek professional advice especially as you are not in the UK.

Please see >>


14:33 PM, 12th July 2017, About 5 years ago

Dear Mike,

When serving notice on a tenant the landlord will need to use an address in England & Wales.

Failing to do so will result in the matter being thrown out in Court and proceedings will have to be restarted.

If you need further information please feel free to call our office and speak to an experienced member of our team who will be mire than happy to assist you.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now