Offer accepted on a house. They have no extension papers or PRC certificate

Offer accepted on a house. They have no extension papers or PRC certificate

10:45 AM, 14th September 2022, About 2 years ago 5

Text Size

I have had an offer accepted on a semi detached house. It was offers over £260,000. I had an offer accepted for £261,000. It was last sold in 2015 for £255,000 with the current extension, and from the old photos appeared in a lot better condition.

The house size is decent, 4 bed, kitchen opens up onto living room with another reception and utility and double garage and large garden.

I know over the past at some point between 7-15yrs ago it had a double extension at the back. Also the house I think used to be an airy house and I have heard that the walls were completely taken down and rebuilt. The house has some damp possibly due to blocked drains or roof tile and small crack on the landing wall and one of the bedroom walls. Also there is some damp in the reception room below the bathroom shower. If in good shape this house would be worth around £300,000. I intend to get a level 3 survey done to check on this.

However before I proceed with my solictor etc, I asked the estate agent to ask the owner for:

1) any planning permission paperwork for the extension and
2) whether it used to be an airy house and if the walls were rebuilt and if so if they have a PRC certificate.

Yet I have just had a reply back from the estate agent, below is the sellers response.

1) We don’t have any planning permission documents to my knowledge.

2) Again, I’m not sure we have that either, but did the EPC not confirm it was built this way?

So I am wondering what I should do. My solictor would normally go through these questions. But before paying out I thought I could check these points first.

Should I ask them to obtain retrospective planning permission or query an indemnity policy (are these worth while?). Or chase it with the council myself to see if they have details.

With the PRC certificate being missing, should I ask them to pay for a new one to be done? Maybe approx £1,000

Should I just pull out off the sale? I have submitted my mortgage application also.



Share This Article



11:37 AM, 14th September 2022, About 2 years ago

The local council's planning portal may list any planning application for the property.

If the extension was built under permitted development rights, it wouldn't need planning permission.

LordOf TheManor

13:35 PM, 14th September 2022, About 2 years ago

You need someone to check whether it was built to the building regs standard of at least 15 years ago - if that's as far back as you believe it was built.

A reputable roofer should be able to appraise the roof for you with a visible inspection of the timbers (for supporting weight capability), also the roof's heat insulation, ventilation and drainage. The result might lead you to a conclusion on the rest of property.

Look for signs of damp course injection treatment but depending on the age of the house, the guarantee (if there is one), may well have expired.

Without any information on the extension to be found, it sounds possibly to have been amateur buildering work.

Before you pay for a level 3 survey, maybe go for a roofer's appraisal first so that you can get a feel for what the extensive survey will reveal.

Good luck - hope it goes in your favour.


17:37 PM, 14th September 2022, About 2 years ago

Hi Matthew

Am I correct thinking you are referring to
Prefabricated Reinforced Concrete (PRC) Certificate? If so without this certificate you will not be able to secure any lending on this property. Does current owner has mortgage against the property they are selling? If they have then I’m confident PRC certificate will be with their lender.
I would ask EA to speak with vendor.

All the best

Maninder Gujral

12:24 PM, 15th September 2022, About 2 years ago

Here is a good article on PRC Homes.
If it is an Airey built home that you are considering purchasing, you will need the PRC certificate to help secure any lending.


8:19 AM, 20th September 2022, About 2 years ago

Thanks for your replies. I have located planning permission for the property on the council website. It was given planning permission 9years ago. It was completely knocked down and rebuilt, an officer's report with the planning states it has been demolished 9yrs ago, it was in the past an airy house. The only thing I'm not sure on is whether the adjoining wall between the other semi-detached house was repaired. I am not sure if the neighbors house has been corrected or not.
I thought about getting a roofer to view it or having a survey. I contacted a person who does a level 3 survey and he suggested that I get a copy of building regs first and if there isn't any to not buy it, or to ask the seller to apply to the council to sort this retrospectively. He then said if I get building regs to come back if I want a survey done, or he can just go ahead and do it.
I have since found a way to apply for a copy of any building regs through the council which will take x5 working days after paying a small fee. If they have it, I will then have planning permission paperwork and building regs and will then sort a survey on the property or initial assessment of roof.
One thing I'm not sure on, is whether after it has been knocked down, if a PRC certificate is required or not. Obviously there is potential the adjoining wall was not replaced which if it wasn't I'm not sure if that means I would need a PRC certificate.
After the initial pre mortgage approval, the credit review and house valuation/survey should come back this week, so I know if the mortgage will be fully accepted or not.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now