New Electrical Installation Condition Report Rules July 2020?

New Electrical Installation Condition Report Rules July 2020?

13:36 PM, 15th July 2020, About 3 years ago 46

Text Size

I have just had an Electrical Installation Condition Report carried out on a flat I rent out by an NIC approved contractor. The report has come back saying the installation is satisfactory.

The flat has just become vacant and I’m in the process of finding a new tenant. As far as I am aware under the new rules July 2020 a copy of the report has to be given to the new tenant at the start of the tenancy? (Along with gas Inspection, Epc, how to rent etc)?

In box 6 RECOMMENDATIONS of the report it says “I/We recommend that the installation is further inspected and tested by: (Then there is a box for the inspector to input his recommendation) In this box he has put “5 Years or change of tenant or owner”

Although he has put in the report 5 years or change of tenant or owner I am unsure of the new rules? Do the new Electrical safety rules state a new inspection has to be carried out every time there is a change of tenant? I’m not sure if the NIC inspector has added the extra words “or change of tenant or owner just to possibly keep himself in work more frequently? The electrical testing is a nice little earner for them.

I let the flat on a minimum 6 month tenancy. If a tenant moved out after say 8 months does this mean I would now have to have a new inspection done before I could re-let the flat?

I have been browsing the internet trying to find any information if new EICR’s have to be issued with each new tenancy but I can’t find anywhere saying this is the case. All I can find is information saying it should be done no later than 5 years from the previous inspection.

Please let me know your thoughts on this?


Share This Article


Neil Patterson

13:46 PM, 15th July 2020, About 3 years ago

Hi Ronnie,

From the legislation and please see >>
A report must be carried out at least every 5 years not at every new tenancy. However, it must be carried out if the report recommends additional inspections. Therefore, I think the electrician may have misunderstood the legislation requirements so please ask why the electrician thinks another report need to be carried out at a new tenancy.

These Regulations apply in England only to—

(a)all new specified tenancies from 1st July 2020; and

(b)all existing specified tenancies from 1st April 2021.

From the legislation >>

Duties of private landlords in relation to electrical installations

3.—(1) A private landlord(1) who grants or intends to grant a specified tenancy must—

(a)ensure that the electrical safety standards are met during any period when the residential premises(2) are occupied under a specified tenancy;

(b)ensure every electrical installation in the residential premises is inspected and tested at regular intervals by a qualified person; and

(c)ensure the first inspection and testing is carried out—

(i)before the tenancy commences in relation to a new specified tenancy; or

(ii)by 1st April 2021 in relation to an existing specified tenancy.

Landlords of privately rented accommodation must:
Ensure national standards for electrical safety are met. These are set out in the 18th edition of the ‘Wiring Regulations’, which are published as British Standard 7671.
Ensure the electrical installations in their rented properties are inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person at least every 5 years.
Obtain a report from the person conducting the inspection and test which gives the results and sets a date for the next inspection and test.
Supply a copy of this report to the existing tenant within 28 days of the inspection and test.
Supply a copy of this report to a new tenant before they occupy the premises.

david porter

18:50 PM, 15th July 2020, About 3 years ago

Electrical certificates
New regulations
I am being told that to comply with new regulations we need a certificate of fitness. I am being told that the plastic fuse box/consumer unit needs to be replaced with something of non combustible construction.
This means made of metal!!!!!!!!!!
We have spent the last 50 years taking out metal fuse boxes because they are conductors of electricity. They have been replaced with plastic.
Now we are to take the plastic ones out and replace them with metal?
I am wondering if I am being told a load of nonsense?
Please can you assist?

Mervin SX

9:13 AM, 16th July 2020, About 3 years ago

The interpretation of the requirements are being utilised by several electricians to make a quick buck!

When an EICR is issued, please ensure it says it is valid for 5 years and that's it. No further conditions unless there is a valid electrical reason for inspection after each tenancy, etc.

Regarding the plastic vs. metal box - it's all to do with the fire safety risk - i.e. will the box withstand a fire in the property. There is no absolute requirement to get this replaced to comply retrospectively to the latest codes. It could be noted as a recommendation in the report. Having said that, if it's a consumer box exposed in the exit route, within a small apartment, I would upgrade it to metal. If it's a consumer box, hid away in a safe location (stair cupboard, etc.) then leave it as it is.

Ray Davison

9:58 AM, 16th July 2020, About 3 years ago

There is no requirement to bring a property up to the latest regulations unless there is a specific safety issue related to the existng installation. If your electrician is going down this route to enhance his income then change your contractor. They will soon find this short sighted approach does not work.

Regarding the requirement to send a copy of the certificate to the local council, does anyone know specifically where to send it? Building control? Housing Dept? Does the legislation actually specify and if not could you be penalised if you happened to send it the wrong section of the council?

Bill O'Dell

10:38 AM, 16th July 2020, About 3 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Ray Davison at 16/07/2020 - 09:58
@Ray Davison - my understanding is, it is a requirement to furnish a report to the local authority within a period (7 or 14 days I think) - on their request. So they have to ask.

Frederick Morrow-Ahmed

12:28 PM, 16th July 2020, About 3 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Bill O'Dell at 16/07/2020 - 10:38
In addition, I believe it has to be sent to the council if the first inspection came back as unsatisfactory and needed further work. And this is without the council having to ask for it.

Jireh Homes

15:48 PM, 16th July 2020, About 3 years ago

In Scotland we have been complying with EICR regulations for over 5 years and been through some of these issues. Consumer Units installed against earlier revisions of the Code are generally simply noted as C3, even the older type wire fuses. Whilst recommended to upgrade and sensible, not mandatory.
With recent changes to Landlord Registration (applicable to whole of Scotland), LA may request copy on a sample basis. And yes we must supply the tenant with a copy.

Ray Davison

16:16 PM, 16th July 2020, About 3 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Bill O'Dell at 16/07/2020 - 10:38
Hi Bill,
I thought it was mandatory to send to the LA pass or fail and also automatically without the LA asking for it . I understood the time-frame was 28 days but I could be mistaken..

I think the 'On-request' bit relates to prospective Tenants

I'm about to start my first ones so need to bottom this out properly as it seems to be another minefield ready to catch the uninformed (Me at the moment!)

SimonP SimonP

21:41 PM, 16th July 2020, About 3 years ago

I thought the new electrical requirements had been put on hold as they were deemed to be lacking in proper information. Have I missed something?

Proffessional tradesman

22:01 PM, 16th July 2020, About 3 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Neil Patterson at 15/07/2020 - 13:46
Why wouldnt you ask the proffessional you paid to do the report. If you had he would have been able to guide you to the table in guidance note 3 of the wiring regs that give the frequency for inspections If you are to comply with those regulations, which from the thread it now appears you need to then you cant pick and choose the section of a sentence you like and ignore the rest. He has correctly quoted the recommended frequency as per the wiring regs. The recommended next inspection refers to a full inspect and test at 5 years, the change of tenant requires you to inspect for damage and test further should you find anything amiss. So he's not pulling a fast one just covering his arse (by quoting the regs) incase your 1st tenant creates a danger and you dont take due dilligence before moving in the next. You should at least be doing a walk around visual inspection of all sockets, switches and light fittings when your tenant leaves, and unless you are having a report done you need to keep a record yourself.

1 2 3 4 5

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now