My landlords have split up and both want me to pay them!

My landlords have split up and both want me to pay them!

10:21 AM, 27th October 2014, About 9 years ago 7

Text Size

I started renting my property from a couple that emigrated, the tenancy is for 12 months and started at the end of June. The tenancy agreement is in joint names for the landlords. My landlords have split up and both want me to pay them

They have now split up and each of them are saying that they want to be paid for the rent and for it to no longer go into the joint account.

I do not want to be stuck in the middle of a dispute between them and want to pay my rent on time and correctly. The husband is still in Spain and the wife is now back in the UK. She has no income as she is not working but has said that her husband wants to get the house repossessed and she does not want this to happen. The husband has emailed me the new bank account details for himself as he said he is now responsible for the rent and the lender is aware of this.

What do I do? – I feel like I am stuck in a horrible place



Share This Article


Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

10:25 AM, 27th October 2014, About 9 years ago

Hi Kate

What an awful situation for you!

I can only think of two things:-

1) Pay them half each
2) Tell a solicitor what's going on and offer to pay your rent into the solicitors client account, to be held until such time as an agreement has been reached, either amicably or Court ordered.

In the meantime, if I were you I'd be looking at moving. Either way they are likely to commence eviction precedings.

All BankersAreBarstewards Smith

12:36 PM, 27th October 2014, About 9 years ago

I might be tempted to ask the lender if you could pay it direct to them.... a solicitor would cost you money and why should you be out of pocket ?

you can find the lender on land registry website for a few quid.....

Neil Woodhead

12:36 PM, 27th October 2014, About 9 years ago

The problem lies with the Landlords not you as the tenant. You should continue paying rent as per tenancy agreement unless you receive in writing joint agreement to any changes.

We have experienced this problem on a number of occasions and do not want to fall foul of your Tenancy Agreement with either Landlord. Mark is right start looking at a move because in most cases like this the Landlady will probably claim the property is the marital home for her and her family.

Ian Narbeth

12:49 PM, 27th October 2014, About 9 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Mark Alexander" at "27/10/2014 - 10:25":

Hi Kate
I would slightly disagree with Mark's comments about paying half to each. I would write to them both and say that you are ready and willing to pay the rent in full every month but you do not want to get drawn into any dispute between them. Tell them that if they will not give you a joint instruction (and check VERY carefully that you have a joint instruction and not a forgery from one of them) you will put the money aside in a separate account until they have sorted themselves out and that any court action they take will be defended and you will show the correspondence to the court. If they want it paid 50:50 or in some other way that is OK provided it is properly documented so that one or other cannot claim you have not paid and seek to recover twice over.

I agree with Mark that it may be time to look for a new home.

Yvette Newbury

16:50 PM, 27th October 2014, About 9 years ago

I agree with Mark above and would pay the monthly rent due into a separate savings account for now until you receive a clear indication, and agreement from them both, as to where the rent should be paid. Put this in writing to them at the address for serving notices shown in the tenancy agreement and keep a copy for yourself with proof of posting.

Mark Alexander - Founder of Property118

16:59 PM, 27th October 2014, About 9 years ago

Reply to the comment left by "Ian Narbeth" at "27/10/2014 - 12:49":

Hi Ian

On reflection, I think your advice is better than my initial response.

Colin Belton

0:11 AM, 30th October 2014, About 9 years ago

As a landlord I've been in this situation. Have the two landlords draw up an agreement that they wish the rent paid into the two separate accounts. If the landlords cannot agree then put the money, as Ian suggests, into a separate account till they agree. From experience there is nothing like a due mortgage to get them to agree.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now