Shelter’s Income and expenditure figures highlighted13:57 PM, 4th February 2019
About 3 weeks ago 35
Next week we will be sending the following to all UK Councils.
To Whom It May Concern
We are attempting to quantify the impact on homelessness over the next 5 years in the [merge in name of Council] area.
A survey carried out in November 2016 by Property118 (The Landlords Union) revealed that 52% of private housing providers (buy-to-let landlords) intend to sell their rental stock to owner occupiers over the next five years due to changes the Government have made in regards to disallowing mortgage interest as a legitimate business expense.
The information we are requesting under the Freedom of Information Act, which we need to compile our report, is as follows:-
1. How many households are there in the [merge in name of Council] area?
2. How many properties are exempt from council tax, or pay at a reduced rate, because the occupants are in receipt of Housing Benefit or LHA?
3. Of these, how many are owned by the council and how many are owned by housing associations?
4. How many properties are exempt from council tax because they are occupied by students?
5. How many households in the [merge in name of Council] area rent from private landlords?
6. How many households in the [merge in name of Council] area are in receipt of any form of housing benefits?
7. Our research intends to predict the number of dislodged tenants that are likely to turn [merge in name of Council] for housing. The figures will, of course, be on the high side because some of those currently renting will be able to buy. However, given that our research is focussed on benefits claimants and/or students it is logical to assume that the percentage in a position to finance the purchase of a home will be incredibly small. Has [merge in name of Council] got a plan to deal with this and if so, what is it please?
8. Please advise the cost to [merge in name of Council] for emergency housing for the homeless in temporary accommodation for each of the last three years and budgets for the next three years
9. Who at [merge in name of Council] will be responsible for housing the tenants who are made homeless? Please supply the name, direct telephone number and email address of the person responsible.
10. Please advise the name, direct telephone number and email address of the person at [merge in name of Council] responsible for arranging meetings with, and presentations to, landlord and tenant groups.
We have issued the same Freedom of Information request to every Council in the UK and will be publishing all responses.
We fully expect [merge in name of Council] to respond in a timely manner and will be naming and shaming any Councils who do not, as well as reporting them to the Local Government Ombudsman.
Please Log-In OR Become a member to reply to comments or subscribe to new comment notifications.
Our mission is to facilitate the sharing of best practice amongst UK landlords, tenants and letting agentsLearn More