Existing Gas and Elec certs still valid?

Existing Gas and Elec certs still valid?

10:17 AM, 20th August 2020, About 4 years ago 10

Text Size

Tenant moving in next week (hopefully)

CURRENT gas cert shows expiry March 2020 and although booked in, didn’t happen. The annual check took place on 28th July (awaiting my actual cert to come through from contractor, but tenant copy was left with the tenant that was there at the time – left in early August without leaving his copy in the flat)

1. Do I still need an actual copy of the new gas cert to be given to the incoming tenant before he moves in?

Last EICR check conducted in July 2011 and on the report states checks not necessary for 10 years – due July 2021 therefore.

2. Do I need a brand new ECIR check to take place now (as this tenancy starts after June 2020 when new changes came into force) or is this cert ok until the next check is due in 2021?

Many thanks

Reluctant Landlord

Share This Article


Graham Bowcock

10:53 AM, 20th August 2020, About 4 years ago

Simple answer on the gas check - YES. Do not let the tenant move into the proeperty without giving them a valid gas certificate. Also get them to acknowledge receipt. The fact that your former tenant took your certificate is, I am afraid, your problem, and does not absolve you from complying with the law.

david porter

10:59 AM, 20th August 2020, About 4 years ago

A fusebox costs 70 from screwfix and two hours to fix. Why I am I being quoted 900 to get a certificate?
Why are so many landlirds giving up amd making more people home less?
Last time I had a vacancy it went on Rightmove and the next morning we had taken a deposit by 10.45.
Fewer and fewer landlords have properties avalable and more people are in such difficulties. Electricians failing properties and charging big bills to rectify non existing faults? Marking ther own home work?

Dylan Morris

11:00 AM, 20th August 2020, About 4 years ago

Your EICR from 2011 is invalid as it is more than 5 years old. As the new tenancy started after 1st July this year then you should have had a new EICR carried out and given this to your tenant prior to take up of the tenancy. If you didn’t do this then you need to have an EICR carried out immediately.

Graham Bowcock

11:07 AM, 20th August 2020, About 4 years ago

Reply to the comment left by david porter at 20/08/2020 - 10:59
If you're being quoted £900 for an inspection, I suggest you change your contractor. Ours charges £95 plus VAT for the inspection. Repairs on top, but the last one was £500 for a variety of repairs including changing the consumer unit. We trust our contractor completely (they are a medium sized firm) and always have an open disucssion about what's needed. We tend to err on the side of compliance, though. It's a small price to pay.

steve p

12:23 PM, 20th August 2020, About 4 years ago

Reply to the comment left by david porter at 20/08/2020 - 10:59This screwfix consumer units do not comply with the latest BS7671 wiring regulations in most cases, they would be fine as a secondary distribution board or in certain circumstances but beware any electrician that uses one of these.
I only use Hager dual 100A type A RCD with SPD. The cost of this plus upgrading tails and earthing is around £260 for the materials alone. It will take more than a couple of hours to fit as you also need to do a load of testing. £500 would be about reasonable for a consumer unit, depending on where you are.
For EICR's make sure you get someone that is approved on the competent persons register as having been assessed to do testing and inspection, although not necessary this ensures without a doubt that you meet your obligation to hire a qualified and competent person. Also make sure it is a 100% test, some limitations are to be expected but don't fall for cheap EICR's that will hold you still liable if something goes wrong. I charge from £175 to £300 for an EICR and it takes at least best part of the day, sometimes even more than one day.


12:58 PM, 20th August 2020, About 4 years ago

Sadly some electricians (and landlords) have realised that no one is checking if Electrical Inspections are being done properly.

Yvonne Francis

15:26 PM, 20th August 2020, About 4 years ago

Perhaps in your sort of letting but when my plumber does a gas certificate he would not dream of giving a copy to the tenant. It's sent to me and its my responsibility to see my tenant gets a copy. If you had this check 28th July then why don't you just chase them up for it? I get a Landlord and a tenant's copy.

As for a ECIR I thought in the private rented property it was due every five years? So 2011 sounds very out of date?


21:45 PM, 20th August 2020, About 4 years ago

Reply to the comment left by steve p at 20/08/2020 - 12:23

steve p

23:13 PM, 20th August 2020, About 4 years ago

Reply to the comment left by Yvonne Francis at 20/08/2020 - 15:26
Yes, the confusion comes because its 10yrs for owner occupiers but 5yrs for rental properties. Hence if say a property changes from owner occupier to rented then its not valid, in fact actually you are supposed to have an EICR at the change of occupancy, although I would consider a change of occupancy from owner to rental I think it unreasonable to have an EICR every time a new tenant moves in but a bit of an inspection that any lay person can do checking for broken sockets etc would be advisable.


11:24 AM, 21st August 2020, About 4 years ago

There is a lot of stuff on the net re EICR, and misunderstanding, and it is best to go back to the original .gov legislation. Clearly some electricians are using this as a 'cash cow' with them and/or the landlord not having read the detailed wording. As landlords these days there is so much legislation to adhere to, and understandably we worry that we will be found guilty of not doing what is required. The current/new EICR does not require that electrical wiring, sockets, consumer units etc are to be up to 18th spec thus requiring much remedial work and expense. It just has to be judged 'safe', and comments on the cert will note what must be done (if not safe) or what is recommended. So in most cases there is not the great worry of having to rewire or do major works.

Leave Comments

In order to post comments you will need to Sign In or Sign Up for a FREE Membership


Don't have an account? Sign Up

Landlord Tax Planning Book Now